pictus catfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of the common pictus cats will only reach 5-6". Still, their minimum tank size IMO is a 55 gal. It would be OK to keep some that are ~3" in a 30 gal for a couple months. Usually it is best to stock fish in tank that will work for them long term, but as long as your upgrade for them in a couple months is definite, it's fine.

Interesting advise/opinions on this thread. What is the reasoning someone would only want to have two 3" pictus in a 30 gallon tank for only a couple months, yet it is okay to have 5 pictus and 8 tiger barbs in a 60 gallon tank?

The first scenario equates to 15 gallons per fish, and the 2nd equates to 12 gallons per pictus with an additional 8 tiger barbs. I DO understand that dimensions make a difference, but there must be something else I'm missing.

All that really matters with pictus cats is tank length see the 30 gallon only is a 30 inch tank length while the 60 has 48 inch length a huge length difference and that's all that matters is tank length because of the pictus cats high energy level.

What would happen if you took two 2 inch Pictus and tried to raise them to 3 to 3 1/2 inches in a 5 gallon pentagon tank? This would take approximately 2 1/2 months.

Well you see that tank does not have vertical space I would reccomend a 30 inch tank to start with pictus cats but really why even ask that 2 in a 5 gallon.

Well you see that tank does not have vertical space I would reccomend a 30 inch tank to start with pictus cats but really why even ask that 2 in a 5 gallon.

Hypothetically. If they had no where else to go, and were going to die for sure where they were at. What do you think would happen?

What I'm saying is. Would they die, or get sick, or fight to the death?

Possibly all three. Most likely two, and then one.

Had two in my 90 gallon. Never again.

Hate trying to catch them properly......:ermm:

What would happen if you took two 2 inch Pictus and tried to raise them to 3 to 3 1/2 inches in a 5 gallon pentagon tank? This would take approximately 2 1/2 months.
I think it would take way longer than that, if they ever reached that length. A friend of mine has had a pictus in a 10 gal for a couple years and it's only about 3". It's barely grown since purchase. They become stunted in tanks that small.

Possibly all three. Most likely two, and then one.

The hypothetical was 2 of them in a 5 gal pentagon tank for 2 months, just so we're accurate. The rest of it was that they prospered, and grew by 33% of their original body size during these 2 1/2 months. It sounds like you would consider this a near miracle.

Bare with me. All these questions and such will help me with helping others with their Pictus questions throughout the internet.

I loved these fish seeing them in a tank with Oscars at someone's home (who was selling the tank) I planned to get some but did a bit of research followed up by talking to the guys at the LFS and they said the fish would eat smaller fish and when fully grown would work as a team to pick medium sized fish to death and then eat them. Too bad. So beautiful! Synodontis Mulitpunctactus (Cuckoo catfish) is almost as cool looking. Supposedly they are less likely to eat fidh that won't fit in their mouth. Check them out ;)

I love mine. Ours are in a 120 with syno cats, jack dempseys, clown loaches, fire mouths and giant danios.

They love to hang out in the plants and around the wood. Very easy to care for as long as you keep their water clean. Ours eat any and everything; cichlid foods, my home made fish food, shrimp pellets, frozen foods.

Don't try to catch them in a net, their pectoral fins are like daggers and they will get stuck. I've also actually had one that jumped out of the bowl I caught him in and land with his pectoral fin stuck in my foot. They are mildy, very mildy poisonous, so if you have allergies to insects, be careful. It took me a month and tons of benadryl to heal

I love mine. Ours are in a 120 with syno cats, jack dempseys, clown loaches, fire mouths and giant danios.

They love to hang out in the plants and around the wood. Very easy to care for as long as you keep their water clean. Ours eat any and everything; cichlid foods, my home made fish food, shrimp pellets, frozen foods.

Don't try to catch them in a net, their pectoral fins are like daggers and they will get stuck. I've also actually had one that jumped out of the bowl I caught him in and land with his pectoral fin stuck in my foot. They are mildy, very mildy poisonous, so if you have allergies to insects, be careful. It took me a month and tons of benadryl to heal

Oh my gosh! That must have hurt way too much! Your tank sounds pretty cool! I love Jack Dempseys!

so are they ok with jack dempseys? I have a small one right now

Attachments

• image-251917533.jpg
    image-251917533.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 75
If your talking about the 30 gallon tank still they might work but if you could have the JD and pictus in the 60 gallon it would probably work out better.

ya that's what I was thinking. putting the JD with 3 pictus cats. would that work??

In the 60 it should work if the you have the JD as a babie and make sure to feed him tell he's full or the pictus cats will get hurt.

Back
Top Bottom