Piggy back HOB and Canister???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KarlNKamisPappa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Unfortunately the Diving industry has died on me and I am still forced to live in an apartment. However, though a lot of judgement and hateful looks, I still have my Koi. Both of them are happy and vibrant, eating well, relatively friendly as in I can hand feed and pet them and currently living in a 75 gallon house. I have had this tank about two years now and the Koi are three and four years old.

Now, I have two Aqueon HOB 75s and I really want to run a canister for the superb bio and chem filtration along with the HOBs. Water changes weekly and feeding is controlled but I still just cant get the water to be clear. Its not bad, If I can get it to work Ill upload pics for yous guys.

My idea is either the Aqueon canister with dual polisher units OR a Fluval 406. I really like the total media filtration (8.5L) in the 406 and I feel like the 383GPH is pretty much perfect. I care for my Koi a little better than myself as they're pretty much my kids.

I know I am about to get some roasting, and some might hate on me, but circumstances guys. Respectful opinions and informative ideas GREATLY appreciated.

Sorry to hear! Well, I had never seen aqueon canister filters before so new product there to check out for me haha. Personally, I would get 2 Seachem 75 Tidal HOB filters. Would be same price as a canister and let me tell you, those things are beasts! Amazing flow and can hold a lot of media. Plus it has probably the best motor on the market. Now if you're deadset on a canister, I would go with a Fluval 406. Can't go wrong with it IMO and Fluval is a very good brand. I would run it in conjunction with one of the HOB filters as well for extra. The cloudy water sounds like a bacterial bloom from probably having to move these guys recently into a new tank and it will clear up with water changes and as the water chemistry balances out but I would still upgrade the filter. Hope this helped!

Thanks guys.

King Fisher, that is pretty much what I am up to :) I would just like some insight from folks who have done what i am about to do. None better than an actual fish forum LOL

IHaveAquariums, I was surprised myself. I am a little partial to Aqueon as they have been nothing but the greatest of help for me and my struggles. Ever since I had my sharks till now, just my Koi. I DO like Seachem products, especially their water treatment. It seems like the more and more I read the Fluval pops up in convo. I seem to understand that either they are loved or hated and I really feel like the haters just dont have patience or a half decent understanding of aquatic pets.

This might help;
https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=37958

King Fisher, Thats pretty much what I am going for now. I just needed a pat on the back for the support :)

IHaveAquariums, My HOBs are pretty solid buddy. I am very happy with them. As for the Fluval, I know there are thousands of reviews and unboxings and what not and it seems as though people either hate them or love them. I also think that the fluval Support is top notch as is Aqueon so those that are hating really dont have the patience for fish :/. I am just torn. I meant to mention to you though that the fish have been in there almost two years now.

Okay guys, here is my tank... I know the pics arent the best and looking at them it really doesnt show too much but.....

Attachments

• 20180227_135234.jpg
    20180227_135234.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20180227_135310.jpg
    20180227_135310.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 83
Sorry man, I thought you hadn't hooked up a canister filter yet and was just running two HOB's?? I think the more filtration the better with the kind of fish you got.....big waste producers. What is your water change schedule and how much do you take out? Gravel vac? Are you using tap water or something else? Do you run carbon filters in your HOB's?

You're right brother, I don't have the canister yet because I wanted more information. I just have the two HOBs for now. I used to have a problem with ammonia so I got the two HOBs with carbon and mechanical filters. Once a week I do about 10-15 gallons. Unless I miss a week and then I do 25 gallons. Got rid of the gravel and have river rocks now since they were eating them and couldnt pass them. I DO use tapwater but its set with Seachem conditioner.

Might want to bump your water changes way up to 50% weekly. I have 2 HOBs on the back of my 55g along with a canister. My canister is a marineland 220c that I got on a black friday sale about 4 years ago for like $40. The priming on it sucks but it's been a really good one for me. I have bought more media for it more rings and bio balls but mainly I just use some filter floss and run with no carbon in anything. I figure unless I have medicated for some reason my large weekly water changes will take care of it

Carbon and filter floss generally clears a tank up. I'd go 25 gallon water change weekly and add the canister. Fluval seems to be a solid brand. From the people who use them I don't hear many complaints. If you got a gravel vac....do a light vac and suck up the poo and food once a week on your water change.

Black Friday deals mannnnn!!!!! Nice grab. The water changes help a lot and I meant to say I get it checked regularly...usually high nitrates and ammonia but nothing worrisome

Black Friday deals mannnnn!!!!! Nice grab. The water changes help a lot and I meant to say I get it checked regularly...usually high nitrates and ammonia but nothing worrisome
Ive found the More filtration the better the water quality. I do at least 3x the filtration on my heavily stocked tanks.

Water change increase you say? Ill give that a shot. I was told not to do more than 10 percent weekly BUT, it is a 75 so I dont see it being that much of a problem. I ordered the Aqueon today and when it gets in I will share with everyone. I got it for a pretty good price AND I am relatively interested in the dual water polisher HOB units that come with it. It also comes with a few other ways to set up the return water channel.
We will see! :)

Sweet. Ya, 25% is good. I do 33% weekly water changes on my larger and smaller tank. All is good.?

Okay guys, I finally got it and set it up. I got an Aqueon quietflow 400...and It set up smoothly, primed without ANY hiccups and if it were't for the return I wouldn't even know it was running! I am quit happy so far.

Attachments

• 20180308_174622.jpg
    20180308_174622.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 20180308_174559.jpg
    20180308_174559.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20180308_174426.jpg
    20180308_174426.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 73
  • 20180308_174446.jpg
    20180308_174446.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 53
That's some filtration. Lol. Should have thrown an FX4 under there and go full tilt.

Man that's what I was thinking! That's gotta be like a 20x turnover minimum per hour lol

Hey guys I know it has been a while but fortune has come my way and I recently got two GREAT deals. I was able to pick up an FX6 King Fisher :) AND i got an aquarium chiller which I have set up a few minutes ago and is now doing its thing! I think I got a pic to upload to show you!!!!! Ill keep yous guys posted in a few days!

Attachments

• 20180615_194545.jpg
    20180615_194545.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 45
For a tank that size, I’d recommend a wet/dry filter, also called a sump. Very efficient and very easy to clean. More expensive, but you can DIY, perhaps.

Back
Top Bottom