Pigmy Freshwater Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tangaloo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have just aquired two pigmy freshwater puffers and i was wondering what kind of food they eat. I have already looked them up on the internet and they said that they love bloodworms, but do they eat flake food? They are housed with two cory cats in a three gallon tank with plants, a biowheel filter, and a heater. Do you think the cory cats will be all right living with them?

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

mine only eat brine shrimp because i guess the breeder only fed them brine but actually now that i think about it they occassionally manage to catch feeder shrimp. i feed them hikari bio-encapsulated brine shrimp twice a day. i have about 4 other types of frozen food but they dont touch it. oh they love daphnia too. just dont feed them anything that's not live or frozen unless for some reason they like um...flakes...most ppl feed them a staple diet of frozen bloodworms. the corys should be fine but your tank is overstocked. the general rule of thumb is 3 gallons for every dwarf/pygmy puffer. 1:2 male female ratio, heavily planted to reduce aggression, lots of filtration and 50% PWCs weekly, and no slow moving tankmates.

Mine will eat flakes but that's only because that's what they were fed in the store. I tend to go with brine shrimp now though.

I don't think too many actually like flakes.

I agree with Felf with being overstocked, I have 2 dwarf puffers and a bristlenose pleco in a 10

how small are these fish and are they ok in such a small tank, I would think 2 cory cats would almost be enough for 3 gallons?

The cory's are barely reaching an inch in length, and the two puffers are currently only about half an inch. I do have a twenty gallon the cory's can be moved to if need be but for now they all seem happy and they do get cleaned regulary (3weeks) with my nitrates at only about 20. Thank you for the info. I think i'll try to get hold of some brine shrimp to try.

I would suggest moving the cories to a 20gal if possible

But i believe the pigmy puffers will do fine in the 3 gal

From what I understand, the dwarf puffers love snails, you could probably get pond snails for free from your LFS.

Back
Top Bottom