Pining after a zebra pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've wanted one for years. I saw one at my LFS on Monday night for $80. I'm not spending that much, no way. But I'm still thinking about it. He was so awesome. I wish they were easier to breed :(

zebraplecpic1.gif

You should try to find a breeder.

The petstores sell them for 80, but the petstores only pay the breeders like 20-30.

They are fantastic, but I'm almost more fond of Queen Arabesque and King Tiger Plecos at the moment. Their patterns are just more interesting to me. For a while I was obsessed with zebras (never seen one in person), but I feel that a few other species can satisfy that hankering for a beautiful plec just as well!

William, if I knew where to find a breeder I would :) I'll have to scour the internet some more.

I did see some Queen Arabesque at another LFS, but they were very drab compared to the pics I've seen. I imagine they'd brighten up quite a bit once I got my hands on them though. Nothing beats the vivid pattern and contrast of the zebra, IMO. Of course who knows how often I'd ever see him anyhow considering that most of the plecos I like are all nocturnal :p

Of course who knows how often I'd ever see him anyhow considering that most of the plecos I like are all nocturnal
That is the complaint I hear from people who have them. They really are a "showy" fish, so you would want them out where you can see them all of the time, at least I would!

Zebras

Hi Holly,

Do yourself a favor and get an L200. They are magnificent. They're not really much cheaper, but more showy! - Frank/Guppyman

$80 is a lot but I would switch around my entire tank to showcase the Zebra since it is so unique. I would pay $80 for one locally if it came with some kind of warranty for at least 7 days. I would hate to spend that much on a fish and have it get sick and die in a few days because the LFS got the think sick :p

That has got to be the coolest looking pleco I have ever seen lol. Love it, not sure if I would spend 80 bucks on it though. I always heard about plecos hiding all day long, but I know on mine, and its a common pleco, I see it all the time, swiming around or hanging on the front of the tank.

actually these plecos aren't hard to breed. I've seen a lot of peeps breeding them. You can actually make money if you succesfully breed these suckers and sell the fry's to your LFS.

BTW they're not algea eaters, they're carnivorous.

Yeah, saw one of the L-200s at Hanover Pet in NJ. Very cool, but not quite my type. Also, I have a feeling they get quite big... Not sure, but I haven't been able to find a max size on the web. The one I saw was 5 inches already, and that's the max size of fish I'm willing to put in a 55 Gallon.

L200

Hi,

The L200 grows to a maximum length of 160mm. Although an effective algae eater, it is omniverous and should be fed a varied diet. There are no reported aquarium breedings of this p***o. - Frank/Guppyman

Guppy, there have been several breedings. Over at planetcatfish a guy named DocZeb has had a few spawns along with some other people.

Here is his website. He has some great info on them including breeding info and a spawn list he has compiled.

Back
Top Bottom