Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pink Kissing Gourami

Does anyone know how big these get? If they can be kept with community fish (danio, molly, guppy, etc)? I am getting some conflicting info stating from some sources that the pink ones are about 4" and can be kept with community fish in groups of 3 or 4. Other sources say they can be up to 12" and will bully or eat my community fish

Old 03-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

They can reach a foot. If you have a big enough tank to accommodate the size, they can be kept with peaceful community fish. Gourami of any sort have variable temperaments and some do really well in communities and some are too bossy. I have seen kissers go both ways in communities. I wouldn't keep them with anything bite-sized however (like a guppy).

Old 03-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

My kisser is six inches at the moment and has seemed to stop growing, he's great with the other fish, I have pygmy corydoras catfish in with him too. He's also lived with a guppy and had no problem at all, although these fish are like any other and can vary in temperaments like Angel said.

Cleggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Our tank is only 36 gallon and we do have community fish like danio, mollies and my son wants to add some guppies so maybe this is not the best fish choice for this tank. I just think they have a very cool behaviour that would be fun to watch
Old 03-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Our kissing fish have always been fine with our mollies/platies/danios/neons etc. I don't think you will have a problem. Now and again they can be a bit of a bully but nothing major just a quick chase round the tank but that's it.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #6

I saw balloon kissing gouramis the other day. Never heard of them before this week
Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO a 36 is too small for kissers but balloon kissers will work. Most of the time from what I have read and experienced they will not grow larger than 8 inches in a aquarium. They will reach a foot in the wild. Yes they can be kept with community fish however I recommend that u only get one balloon kisser because if u get two or three in a small tank the dominant one will kill the others. I know from experience my
Kisser killed three different kissers so I decided to only keep the one. He is three inches long kept in my 55 and has not grown since I got him four months ago. They are slow growing fish.

Tags
gourami, kissing gourami, pink

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com