Pirahna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppy77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking of getting a piranha does anyone know anything about them

Don't think I have seen to much on here about them. You could try a general search for post/threads containing "Pirahna" as a specific word. Sorry I could not be of more help.

There are a few threads, I think. Most have to do with whether it's legal or not in your state to own one.

I have owned many types for many years ..I lost my 12" Black Rhom about a year ago and haven't had any since ,,but may look into getting some gold spilos or something again
Red bellies are the common ones to start with and can be in a school of odd numbers ,,3,5,7 ect...
I had 7 for a long time

I had a Red Belly.. Fairly easy to care for. Really hardy. Cleaning the tank was sometimes a challenge. They are pretty boring though. I can't remember how much we'd feed it, it was about 12 years ago. I think we put 12 goldfish a week. He'd just pick em off whenever he got hungry.

As said, they are illegal in California. So are glofish.

Pirhanas need big tanks because they live in big schools, that's all I can say about them really.

As said, they are illegal in California. So are glofish.

Pirhanas need big tanks because they live in big schools, that's all I can say about them really.
Many,many species MUST live alone ,,and grow very slow,,an inch a year or so...I kept a gold in a 20 long for a couple years ,,he didn't survive a 1200 mile move though:(....but yes,eventually it would need a minimum of 90 gallons
OP you should check out this site if your serious about piranha keeping ..I haven't been on there in awhile ,,but i'm sure its still thriving

Piranha-Fury Forums

Many,many species MUST live alone ,,and grow very slow,,an inch a year or so...I kept a gold in a 20 long for a couple years ,,he didn't survive a 1200 mile move though:(....but yes,eventually it would need a minimum of 90 gallons
OP you should check out this site if your serious about piranha keeping ..I haven't been on there in awhile ,,but i'm sure its still thriving

Piranha-Fury Forums

I didn't know that. I just go off what I see when people give advice on pacus, I assumed that since they were cousins they behaved the same. I also am aware that some do need to be kept alone, but didn't know what species the OP is talking about, so I just basically lumped them in the generic red-bellied pirhanas that seem to be so common at Petsmart.

Thanks for sharing :)

I didn't know that. I just go off what I see when people give advice on pacus, I assumed that since they were cousins they behaved the same. I also am aware that some do need to be kept alone, but didn't know what species the OP is talking about, so I just basically lumped them in the generic red-bellied pirhanas that seem to be so common at Petsmart.

Thanks for sharing :)
NP,,i was very passionate about piranha keeping for a long time(and may get back into it) and while they are considered a distant cousin to the pacu they are really nothing alike at all.

i have six red belly piranhas, not full grown but as long as you have dim lighting and some stuff for them to hide behind your good. just remember that they are a pretty dirty fish so PCW may need to be a little larger or just more often i do a small one twice a week and the water stays nice and clear

Thanks for all the advice I have the tank setup and cycled just waiting on the Lps to get the fish

Back
Top Bottom