Piranha

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blackmolli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I have 4 large piranhas that are quickly outgrowing my 50 gallon tank.
How do I successfully transfer them to a bigger tank? I don't want to lose a finger!
Thanks

The issue is not only safety for my finger but also for my fish. They are too **** fast to catch!

Most tv shows I've seen about piranhas say they don't just attack people. They have to be extremely hungry. The guy on river monsters sat down in a pool full of them and they never once even looked at him. That being said I don't know a whole lot about piranhas but I will say this, When I have to take my "fast" fish out of my tank I take some of the water out. That way they don't have as much room to swim away from me in.

I tried to net them but they just go nuts. One jumped out the aquarium

These fish are like chickens with big teeth. I have never had any fish as shy and scared as these

Invite someone that you don't like very much to help and ask them to push the fish towards the net with their fingers.... :D

I would suggest draining the tank so there is just enough water to cover the fish and then use two nets to wrangle them. Best thing to do with netting them is to just stay calm and go slow, if you start thrashing around you may trigger their instinct to eat.

I would suggest draining the tank so there is just enough water to cover the fish and then use two nets to wrangle them. Best thing to do with netting them is to just stay calm and go slow, if you start thrashing around you may trigger their instinct to eat.

+1 to this... It seems like the best idea. Make sure you take out any decorations and plants, too, so that they dont get in the way and so the fish dont get hurt when they are thrashing around.

I would not use nets. I paid good money for my nets, so no tears please. I would use a large container.

Back
Top Bottom