Piranha Acting wierd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booginish

Aquarium Advice Activist
alright my dilema is very simple but wierd, my piranha is in good health i just got him 2 weeks ago, hes 10" and 8 years old. so iv started feeding him raw shrimp and prawns, my only problem is he wont eat in front of me, if i drop the food in and watch he will ignore the food, if i leave the room and peek at him from far away were im sure he cant see me, he still wont eat, but if i leave completely and not watch him at all, 2 mins later its all gone! does anyone have any techniques for getting him use to eating in front of me, or should i just give him time to adjust?

What type of Piranha? Most are skittish so he's probably just uncomfortable with his surroundings and doesn't feel safe yet.

Stick your finger in there, if he is hungry he will come to it.

Just happened to me, got a few holes in the tip of me finger now

They do better in groups of 6 or more. To get him to feed in front of you it will probably take a few months and make sure to have plenty of hiding spots and possibly cover the top of the water with floating plants like the amazon. What type of pirahna is it?

I just had the same problem with mine, he was about 2.5 years old, and honestly wouldn't leave the corner of my 55gal tank, so that was pretty **** annoying having all that space for him and not using it. So from what I read it is best to have them in groups of at least 3 or more, however at the time when I bought mine I did not know this, so it took about 4-6 months for him to become familiar with me, try some dim lighting and some floating plants, he should come around and become a little more exciting to watch for sure, active feeder fish will help every now and then as well, as your pirahna might start to think "well if those fish can swim out there so can I". No worries it will all work out great in the end, it just takes time

Back
Top Bottom