Pitbull Pleco (L26) normal behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I recently got a baby pitbull Pleco and all he does is digs holes and trenches. He also will try to stand on his pelvic fins and try to look tough. Is this normal?

Territorial little bugger! He is claiming and defending his territory. That's all. Not much to be worried about. How big is the tank?

Homedog98 said:
Territorial little bugger! He is claiming and defending his territory. That's all. Not much to be worried about. How big is the tank?

"10 gal for now. He doesn't mind the Chinese algae eater messing up his trenches so I don't know if it's territorial

They usually are only territorial towards their own species. An upgrade to a bigger tank (29 gallon) would help smooth things out between them. One in the ten would be fine for now, and while they don't get huge, they've been known to be a bit territorial.

Interesting... I have 3x pit-bull's as advised by my reputable lfs. They are almost always hanging out with each other and get on okay with my cory's too. No signs of territorial behaviour from any of them, could this be like some other species where if they are on their own they feel like they have a point to make ?

AquaOne said:
Interesting... I have 3x pit-bull's as advised by my reputable lfs. They are almost always hanging out with each other and get on okay with my cory's too. No signs of territorial behaviour from any of them, could this be like some other species where if they are on their own they feel like they have a point to make ?

How big is the tank those guys are in?

Homedog, they reside in a 36g tank wit 3x cory's, a golden gourami and a juvenile angel.
All a happy family :)

AquaOne said:
Homedog, they reside in a 36g tank wit 3x cory's, a golden gourami and a juvenile angel.
All a happy family :)

That would explain it. There is much more room for them to reside there, and much more space for them to have territories in there then in the OP's 10 gallon.

Yes, a bit more room so they can go off to their favourite spot. Mine do seem to be together most of the time though.

Homedog98 said:
That would explain it. There is much more room for them to reside there, and much more space for them to have territories in there then in the OP's 10 gallon.

I am gona upgrade to a bigger tank maybe 29gal in a year or so so they should be fine. It's not like ther fighting. How big do pitbulls get?

do you know the scientific name there are a couple pitbull plecos out there but if it's a rubberlip pleco( often called pitbull pleco) thn it'll get 10inches a pic would also help.

allaboutfish said:
do you know the scientific name there are a couple pitbull plecos out there but if it's a rubberlip pleco( often called pitbull pleco) thn it'll get 10inches a pic would also help.

Rubberlips don't hit more then 6 inches... And yes, the 29 would help with the problem. Just cycle it fishless (check out link in signature)

usually but in some cases they get 10 inches one person told me that on here and petsmart even said 10 inches

allaboutfish said:
usually but in some cases they get 10 inches one person told me that on here and petsmart even said 10 inches

Well think about it... Do you really trust petsmart? Lol. And who told you on here? Just curious.

GhillieSniper115 said:
"10 gal for now. He doesn't mind the Chinese algae eater messing up his trenches so I don't know if it's territorial

Don't chinese algae eaters get too big for a 10g? And I do believe that they are aggressive fish; perhaps that is why your pitbull pleco reacted that way?

James_in_MN said:
Don't chinese algae eaters get too big for a 10g? And I do believe that they are aggressive fish; perhaps that is why your pitbull pleco reacted that way?

No he's very friendly. I have this hollow boat that he shares with my other baby Pleco and when I feed them they all take turns eating. If u guys want to see pics check out my YouTube i have a vid of him. www.YouTube.com/GhillieSniper115

allaboutfish said:

Ya I kno it it's LDA26

yeah,they do.i read somewhere that they can get up to 14 inces in the wild.i have one,and it would suck on the goldfish i had in my aquarium,i thoughti t was funny until i realised it was harmful.but now that it killed the goldfish its very nice.

Back
Top Bottom