Planning on getting a 55 Gallon Tank at Wal Mart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kris_toledo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I was planning on getting a 55 Gallon tank at wal mart. It is a kit that includes everything that I need (I guess). I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips. I know that the kit cost around $269 CDN. There is no stand with it though. I plan on getting a Tiger Oscar. Maybe more than one, but I hear that each oscar needs at least 50 gallons each. How heavy would a 55 gallon tank be in pounds? I still have to figure out where I'm going to place this thin also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

A 55 is only 12" wide. I'd say that's too small for an Oscar. Why not step up to a 75 (18" wide) or even a 120 (24" wide)? Then you could get your two Oscars and give them the room they need to grow. A 75 can be had for $140 USD.

Just a thought.

well, as far as the weight of a 55 gallon, you should figure about 8 lbs per gallon--generally you have almost the same amount of gravel--so add another 55 lbs....then you have decorations, lid, filter, glass of tank, fish, etc....and i definately think you need a bigger tank if you want more than one oscar--if they are crowded, chances are one will kill the other eventually to give himself more room! and they grow really fast, so it wouldn 't be long before you would probably have trouble--my oscars have went from around 1 " to 8-9 inches in less than a year, and they are still growing a lot! everytime i look at them they look bigger...but they are super pets, lots of personality, and well worth the extra care they require--buy the bigger one if you can, or look in the paper for a used set up , most of the time they already have the filters, stand, deco, canopy, lights, etc. i bought a beautiful wooden stand and canopy, 55 gallon, came with filters, deco, and she tried to give me the gravel !! and i only paid 175 dollars for it all, and they even delivered the stand to my door! so if you want a bigger tank, just be patient and keep looking, you will soon find a great deal i am sure--lots of ppl buy the setups, then they kill all their fish accidentally because they don't know about the water chemistry, they try again, all the fish die--newbies tend to overcrowd the tank, and that is sure death if it's not watched very closely.....so they get frustrated and just want to get rid of it--that's exactly what happened to these ppl i bought from....so you get a setup that's hardly used for much less money...best of luck, let us know if you have any more questions.... :D

I posted a similar question on the Walmart setup earlier. It looks like the best deal locally for me. There is a stand available too for US$70, it is black and not too offensive.

I have also been trolling through the local papers looking for a cheap second hand setup. I came up with a winner last night. A nice lady who has the remenants of her sons set-up. Some amazing fish too.

So I am going from one display tank to the possibility of setting up my dream fish room in the basement!

Now I just have to wait for the lady to get back to me - she is probably going to split the bounty with another guy who is interested!

That is great to hear. You could probably build a stand for a 55 gal tank for $70 or less.

How big is the tank in the paper? Maybe you could suggest to the lady that the other guy could get the fish and you could take the tank.

Ultimatly the most important aspect of the setup would be the tank itself.

There is a 55 galloon tank with a nice stand and hood that needs a little refinishing. there are also two small 2foot tanks and one larger one (it is higher).

There are at least 50 fish I would say. It would be ideal if we split it all down the middle. The fish are a mazing seeing they are in cramped conditions. She knows this and this is why she wants to find good homes for them.

There are Yellow Cichlids and Ollies and this big old fish that has personality (it ate her sons piranha - I like it :twisted: ). I am not sure if they are the right names, but if I get them I will find out. They are all breeding too, regardless of the conditions. The tanks are clean but not very interesting, just rocks and algae.

If I take the fish I will have to go to Walmart and get some 10 Gallon tanks and set them up before hand as temporary homes. (Hey just gives me more room to expand later!).

I will keep you all updated!

I bought that tank

Hey I bought that same tank from Wall mart 3 months ago,with the stand.That was the start of mine and my wifes hobby it has worked out great.Icycled it for 3 weeks with nine Tiger barbs.and added a bio wheel.didnt lose a single fish.Of course the wife has gone fish crazy,so the Barbs are now in a 29 gallon,again bought at wall mart and I am just as happy with it.The 55 now has 2 Blood Parrots 1 earth eater a puffer and a bala shark all are doin well,Sigh of course now the wife bought a 100 gallon for all of them......Warning once you get started it never stops!!

Re: I bought that tank

RadHoth said:
Hey I bought that same tank from Wall mart 3 months ago,with the stand.That was the start of mine and my wifes hobby it has worked out great.Icycled it for 3 weeks with nine Tiger barbs.and added a bio wheel.didnt lose a single fish.Of course the wife has gone fish crazy,so the Barbs are now in a 29 gallon,again bought at wall mart and I am just as happy with it.The 55 now has 2 Blood Parrots 1 earth eater a puffer and a bala shark all are doin well,Sigh of course now the wife bought a 100 gallon for all of them......Warning once you get started it never stops!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

YES! we have another person who is hooked. They should put a disclamer on the fish isle or at the entrance to the fish room at all LFS. It should say something like "Warning, looking at aquarium fish could cause compulsive spending and hours of time with wet arms" From no tanks to 3 tanks in 3 months. U know your going to be hard pressed to keep up that rate. But it sure will be fun to watch. Please tell us more about your setups and if you have ability to post photos you may do so in the show off forum.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

55 gallon tank

Hey your wife sounds like me :lol:
I started with a 10 gallon tank and now have a 29, 30 & 75 gal. reef
Isn't this hobby great :D
EMS503

Yeah why is it you always end up with wet arms and no towel handy?

I did see a pair of long "fish gloves" in the "thatfishplace" catalogue. They would probably be handy!

Hi All :D
I am the wife to poor Radhoth, my free maintainence man he calls himself,lol. Just to let you know he has now put his foot down on any more tanks for "awhile" (whatever that means :roll:
But now I am realizing there's something else every fish person needs,,, A good digital camera to share and show off our little loves and creativities! Wow, it never ends does it? Except maybe until the next payday!
Today we got this beautiful bright blue crayfish? It looks like a mini lobster. We named him Sparticus. Its a great addition to watch and as soon as I get that desperately needed digital camera :twisted: I'll add pics to site. Until then Shhhhhhh, dont tell Rad :!:

ROFLMAO @ Annisuz...

:wink: I wont tell if you wont. :wink:

BTW I think its great to have a husband and wife as individual members. If you want another tank have him look at some of our saltwater members tanks. The saltwater bug will be come knocking in a short time.

:twisted: :twisted:

Um Gee thanks,
She dont need no new Ideas.3 months 3 tanks,at this rate I might as well become a LFS. :wink: That ok gettin a lil payback it seems my little 3 inch puffer thinks her 5in crawfish is a smorgyboard.Gonna be interestin to see how it all turns out.

My DAD has a oscar in it with 2 jack demsis(sp) but one died from ick.. and a very large pleco. note this is my dad.. it actually came in though our pawn shop! sum1 came in with hall these fish in a 29 gallon tank.. so he bought it an put them the 55 gallon..

keyword it was my dad I would of ofcourse made the 55 a saltwater :p

Jacob

Back
Top Bottom