Planning tank for next year, hows this sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zeig

Aquarium Advice Regular
I used to have a brackish tank and next year ill have my own apartment so i plan a nice low[ish] maintenance freshwater setup up.

tank size: aprox 30 gal

substrate:sand and rocks

filtration: one power filter, maybe a sponge filter, and a the pneumatic filters that is a grate under the substrate (cant remember the name)

stock:
Guppys ( two or more of either neon blu tux, red fire, lyretail)
hifin lyretail sowrdtail
ghost flass cat
silver hatchet
Rainbow crab-[i read these are semi-terrestrial, and this video helped prove this to me (Rainbow Crab), so i plan to have an acrylic air chamber with an air stone pumping air into it under water which iwll slowly bubble, and he can crawl around in it]

so my question is how does this setup sound? my greatest concern is with the stock compatability, i tried to pick dosile fish. But most importantly will the rainbow crab fair well?

the grate filter you are talking about is an undergravel filter.. dont waste your time or money. Make sure your regular filter (HOB) is rated for more gallons than your tank size.. i would get a filter that is rated for a 55g tank, Aqua clear makes good HOB filters. Sponge filters are great for BB, so more power to you if you want to have one, it can only benefit you.

i really dont think you should do the crab if you dont have an actual Land area.. yes your idea will work but it is not really meeting the needs of the crab.

guppies, either go with all the same sex or 1:2 male female ratio, 1:3 is better. same thing applies to swordtails

glass catfish are also schooling fish, needing 5+, need good water conditions and should only be added to established tanks.

silver hatchets are schooling fish and need groups of 5+ and they are jumpers so you need to make sure you have a snug fitting lid and make sure that they are no openings around your filter.. or you will find them on the floor.

over all i think the compatibility should work... at least i know the glass catfish, guppies and swordtail will be fine together. i think that would will really need to watch the number of fish you have because over stocking and happen quick when you are wanting schooling fish as well as live breeders.. i mean with that stock you would be sitting at at least 13 fish .. if it were me, i would go with the hatchets, guppies, and swordtails. and then pick out a bottom level fish that is fully aquatic. like kuhli loaches or a school of cories.. also i want to add that all of these fish do best with plants, live or fake, it makes them feel safe

hmm.. well im trying to go for a more marine looking tank. But good advice. breeding? they will breed in captivity??

also i really want a crustation... hence the rainbow crab.. hmm.. i saw a freshwater blue lobster but it was $35

Back
Top Bottom