Planning to Stock a 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm looking for pretty, non over breeding, peaceful species :). But my hisband likes the rainbow sharks (not sure if they will fit in a 75 gallon yet and peaceful shark?).

I know of Molly's and platys, tetras and Cory's but if there are any other beauties I'm leaving out suggestions are welcome!

I'm thinking I don't want cichlids, oscars and the like.

Thanks!

What kind of 75 gallon do you have? I am looking to get my second aquarium and a topfin 75 gal. caught my eye from petsmart. Also if you dont mind me asking, what kind of filtration do you run on a 75gal.?

Sorry for rambling.....As for your stocking,I think Dwarf Gourami's look nice! And Im kind of new but from what I read 75gallons should be enough to house a few males so you wouldnt have to worry about breeding.

It's an Aqueon 75E I think but I am not sure what the E means. LOL I have no clue what filtration you should run. If I had run out and purchased on it probably would have been an AquaClear 110 I like the ease of them. BUT I know a lot of people like canister filters and I am starting to see the beauty of them as well.

I am still a newbie so I don't know much. This one was a craigslist find that happened to come with an Eheim Pro 3 but I think it is rated way higher than 75 gallon.

I was debating dwarf gouramis. I did see a fish in the store the other day I fell in love with but he was salt water :ermm: so I can't have him. Oh and he was really expensive but he was so fun and interactive and cute! LOL I will check into gouramis and see how peaceful they are. Thanks for the information!

It's an Aqueon 75E I think but I am not sure what the E means. LOL I have no clue what filtration you should run. If I had run out and purchased on it probably would have been an AquaClear 110 I like the ease of them. BUT I know a lot of people like canister filters and I am starting to see the beauty of them as well.

I am still a newbie so I don't know much. This one was a craigslist find that happened to come with an Eheim Pro 3 but I think it is rated way higher than 75 gallon.

I was debating dwarf gouramis. I did see a fish in the store the other day I fell in love with but he was salt water :ermm: so I can't have him. Oh and he was really expensive but he was so fun and interactive and cute! LOL I will check into gouramis and see how peaceful they are. Thanks for the information!
My philosophy is that a 70 gallon tank and larger should have a canister. If keeping a number of cichlids in a 55, you need a canister. If you were to get the HOB filter (I.E. AquaClear) you probably should get more than one. Dwarf Gouramis IME are not very hardy and no one I know around here has been able to keep them alive. Hmm, the fact that you don't want semi-aggressive/aggressive fish is limiting your options. If you were open to them, I would have said BGK, Angelfish, Malawi Cichlids, and other things like that. I like Rainbow Sharks, but they are semi-aggressive and need lots of caves and hiding spaces to not attack its tankmates.

Ok so I am still new at it all. BGK?

Can cichlids be kept with other fish or would it just be a cichlid tank?

Can a shark or cichlid be happily kept with corys or tetras or does it change the whole thing up?

Ok so I am still new at it all. BGK?

Can cichlids be kept with other fish or would it just be a cichlid tank?

Can a shark or cichlid be happily kept with corys or tetras or does it change the whole thing up?
1. A BGK is a Black Ghost Knifefish

2. It would have to be a species-only tank. (African cichlids only with other cichlids from the same lake [I.E. Malawi cichlids with Malawi cichlids, Tanganyika cichlids with Tanganyika cichlids, etc.])

3. They do not do well with fish their size or smaller. They are compatible with danios, loaches, rainbowfish, plecostamus, gouramis, and barbs.

I've always wanted a black ghost knife and an african leaf fish or two.
I love rainbows. Bosemani or thread fins are lovely in schools. Also an eel would be cool too.

These all can't go in together obviously, but maybe pick a center piece and build around that

Back
Top Bottom