plans have changed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cogburn

Aquarium Advice Freak
for the better that is... im no longer going with the 150gal xtra high tank (48x24x30) im now going with the 180 gal wide tank (72x24x24) because the 150 is just way too high... i saw one this weekend and it would just be a very awkward tank to clean and rearrange things on the bottom its just way too high... so... my question is... what is the difference between the hardwood prestige stands and the pine stands... pine is ALOT easier on the wallet... but is it still a good sturdy stand?... i wouldnt think they would sell something that would buckle under the weight of the 180 gal tank... but im just curious if somebody could chime in and let me know... thanks in advance...

-Larry :silly:

I have a prestige stand for my 125 and the thing I like about it is I have one HUGE door (that I can slide a sump/fuge into) and a smaller door on the left side where I have my Fluvial FX5 sitting. The big difference for me was the big door on one side.

I'm no expert on the subject even though I build my own stand. I imagine you could shoot an e-mail or call the manufacturer to see what kind of load they built it to take. I'd agree that they shouldn't, and probably wouldn't, sell a stand that couldn't hold the load.

Any idea what size the boards are on the corners? 2x4s 2x2s? With a 72" span I would recommend a 2x6 for the top frame. Anything smaller (2x4) would require you to add supports in the middle of the span. Just some food for thought... :)

PS - I used these plans, Reef Central Online Community - DIY Stands Template and Calculator and the guys there are really knowledgeable about stand loads.

i contacted the store that sells them... they said that the pine holds up very well... not as well as the hardwoods... but they hold up well... they said the big difference is that the hardwood is much better looking and available in more colors...

Back
Top Bottom