Plant and Light question 220g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to add some really large amazon swords to my 220g. Currently I have a 4bulb t5ho over it. Do you think that will keep the swords happy/healthy? Its just a cheap Odyssea 4x 80w t5ho

I'm assuming you don't have two 220g tanks so I'd suggest sticking with your other two threads' ideas and get fake plants. I had 6 tapajos and they were mini bulldozers. You'll eventually get to the point I got to and use fishing line to tie the fake plants to the eggcrate under my sand. Every day I would come home from work and the plants would be floating or stuck to my intake.

At least this way I could just use a net to rebury the base and be on my way. I personally like the tank with just the hardscape. To each their own though. Best of luck and be sure to post some of those geos. I miss mine! :(

To answer your question though, without knowing wattage, temperature, age, etc of the bulbs, they are fairly undemanding in my experience. I had a couple and they seemed to perk up when I put some root tabs nearby. I had low light and they still grew quite well.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you don't have two 220g tanks so I'd suggest sticking with your other two threads' ideas and get fake plants. I had 6 tapajos and they were mini bulldozers. You'll eventually get to the point I got to and use fishing line to tie the fake plants to the eggcrate under my sand. Every day I would come home from work and the plants would be floating or stuck to my intake.

At least this way I could just use a net to rebury the base and be on my way. I personally like the tank with just the hardscape. To each their own though. Best of luck and be sure to post some of those geos. I miss mine! :(

To answer your question though, without knowing wattage, temperature, age, etc of the bulbs, they are fairly undemanding in my experience. I had a couple and they seemed to perk up when I put some root tabs nearby. I had low light and they still grew quite well.

Well, I am considering large amazon swords because I have 4x that are massive. They are over 2ft tall and about 2 feet wide in water. So I dont think they will uproot those even when adults and I dont think my silver dollars will be able to eat more then the growth they have. The reasons they arnt in that tank now is because I just have some basic LED's and I have never planted such a deep tank before. 4 bulb at 80 watts = 320. The Geos are currently about 2" so it will give the Swords a very good amount of time to get a solid root system laid out.

Back
Top Bottom