Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Plant deficiencies???

Why are my plants growing stunted??? My anubias leaves grow smaller than they should. I have a ruby red sword plant that grows, but only about 2 inches in length.

They are in a 90 gallon. With a fluval 2.0 planted light for about 7 to 8 hours a day. Substrate is a mixture of eco complete and fluval stratum. I dose Aquarium Co-OP Easy Green ferts daily and after water changes. I also put root tabs every 4 to 6 months. Weekly 30 to 50 percent water changes.

I dont kno what to do. Ive tried everything. My lily and crypt wendtii brown are the only plants that seem to grow regularly.

Please help! Any suggestions please!!??

Old 06-02-2019, 11:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmny34 View Post
Why are my plants growing stunted??? My anubias leaves grow smaller than they should. I have a ruby red sword plant that grows, but only about 2 inches in length.

They are in a 90 gallon. With a fluval 2.0 planted light for about 7 to 8 hours a day. Substrate is a mixture of eco complete and fluval stratum. I dose Aquarium Co-OP Easy Green ferts daily and after water changes. I also put root tabs every 4 to 6 months. Weekly 30 to 50 percent water changes.

I dont kno what to do. Ive tried everything. My lily and crypt wendtii brown are the only plants that seem to grow regularly.

Please help! Any suggestions please!!??
I have heard of stunted Anubias leaves being a symptom of calcium deficiency. It's hard to diagnose exactly what it is without seeing the leaves. The easy green should be sufficient for macros and micros given your lighting and tank size... only thing I could think of is that your tap is already low in calcium and your tank runs out pretty quick.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello km...

Your plants are in the "easy to grow" group. You don't need high end fertilizers or lighting to get them to grow. Low to moderate light put on a timer for 12 hours on and 12 off, will do the job. These plants are tropical and used to long hours of daylight. As for fertilizers, as long as they get nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, they'll grow. As for the trace elements, those are in public tap water supplies and are replenished along with oxygen as long as you remove and replace most of the tank water weekly. I think you can reduce the fertilizers to just what the fish produce. This is really all I do for the easier to grow plants.

B
Old 06-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you happen to have picture of the tank and the plants?

I see not real immediate sign of an issue...

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello km...

Your plants are in the "easy to grow" group. You don't need high end fertilizers or lighting to get them to grow. Low to moderate light put on a timer for 12 hours on and 12 off, will do the job. These plants are tropical and used to long hours of daylight. As for fertilizers, as long as they get nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, they'll grow. As for the trace elements, those are in public tap water supplies and are replenished along with oxygen as long as you remove and replace most of the tank water weekly. I think you can reduce the fertilizers to just what the fish produce. This is really all I do for the easier to grow plants.

B
Thanks. I'm going to try this. It makes a lot of sense.

Tags
plant

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com