Plant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413220422.518153.jpg
I just bought this very big and beautiful Anubias nana. Should this plant be tied down or planted?

Yes, anubias need to be held down while they take up root. They cannot be planted, or they'll rot. I'm not sure if it will root in the rock you chose though... It doesn't look like the rock is porous enough for the roots to get a foothold. Porous rocks or driftwood are best.

As far as holding it down goes, rubber bands work, as does super glue or fishing line.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413226181.246735.jpg my other Anubias is taking the driftwood. How do the roots look thoughImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413226215.955931.jpg

The roots look fine, and the plant can grow even when not rooted in anything. That said, you'll likely need to keep the rubber band on it permanently if the rock isn't porous enough.

The roots look fine, and the plant can grow even when not rooted in anything. That said, you'll likely need to keep the rubber band on it permanently if the rock isn't porous enough.

Wouldn't the roots latch on to the rock tho from underneath?

Maybe eventually... But only if the roots happen to grow around the rock. When they can't find a way into the rock they usually start going outwards to look for something more easily rootable.

Maybe eventually... But only if the roots happen to grow around the rock. When they can't find a way into the rock they usually start going outwards to look for something more easily rootable.

That's what they did with my driftwood a they went right around it and latches on from underneath

I really don't have much driftwood. And that rock won't work all?

There's nothing saying you can't try the rock, but no, I don't think the anubias will ever really attach to it on its own. It won't hurt the plant if you want to wait and see, but it's going to tend to float off unless held down via rubber bands/superglue/fishing line for a very long time.

There's nothing saying you can't try the rock, but no, I don't think the anubias will ever really attach to it on its own. It won't hurt the plant if you want to wait and see, but it's going to tend to float off unless held down via rubber bands/superglue/fishing line for a very long time.

+1

Fishobsessed7

You'd be surprised. The roots can anchor into tiny crevices in rocks.

As for what to do with it, do whatever you want. Tie it to a rock, tie it to driftwood, plant it in the substrate with the rhizome exposed, it doesn't really matter.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

I have moss growing and clinging to the glass at the back of my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You'd be surprised. The roots can anchor into tiny crevices in rocks.

As for what to do with it, do whatever you want. Tie it to a rock, tie it to driftwood, plant it in the substrate with the rhizome exposed, it doesn't really matter.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Ok thanks a lot guys. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413329806.617549.jpg I really like where it is now. And I think the roots might be able to get down to the driftwood below the rockImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413329854.742624.jpg possible?

Back
Top Bottom