Plant or something in tank to help filter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are there any plants or inverts or anything that I could put in my tank to help filter a little bit ??? I want my water super crystal clear. I have an aquaclear 50 on my 29 gallon tank. Or any tips for clear water could help too. I currently run carbon, a sponge, and rings in the filter.

TigerBarbs said:
Are there any plants or inverts or anything that I could put in my tank to help filter a little bit ??? I want my water super crystal clear. I have an aquaclear 50 on my 29 gallon tank. Or any tips for clear water could help too. I currently run carbon, a sponge, and rings in the filter.

Use the sponge on bottom, filter floss in the middle, and bio media on top. There's no need for carbon unless you wanna get rid of medications or chemicals. I use the same combo I I just mentioned in my aquaclear 30 on my ten gallon tank and its always crystal clear.

Something like ghost shrimp would help keep a lot of the leftover food from clouding the water. As for plants, they won't really do anything along the lines of removing particulate matter from the water column. However, they will use any nutrients present in the substrate.

Also finer filter media, cleaning your media more often, and gravel vacing more often will help keep your water pristine clean.

My Senegal bichir loves em and my tiger barb school loves teaming up on single ones and ripping apart then eating them hahahaha it's very fun to watch

Sorry, didn't know what your stock was so I just figured I would throw them out. Too bad they are snacks and not janitors, mine are awesome. You might could do some kuhli loaches, they would do a good job cleaning up and maybe they wouldn't get eaten?

Yea that's a good idea but I'm already a little bit over stocked I got 7 tiger barbs, a 7 inch Senegal bichir, and a pair of convicts

The shrimp as janitors could definitely come in handy for other community tanks or smaller ones in the future. So thanks

Does anybody know of a kind of floss that works great and could run in an aquaclear 50 powerfilter

tigerbarbs said:
does anybody know of a kind of floss that works great and could run in an aquaclear 50 powerfilter

sorry i haven't had time to find the kind i use yet. And my phone is being weird and keeping it all capitol letters. I would suggest anything that is made for fish tanks and that is sort of like steel wool but not steel.

TigerBarbs said:
Ok so just anything that looks all tangled?

I WILL FIND A PICTURE OF SOME, AND MIGHT BE ABLE TO FINd THE KIND I USE IF I HAVE TIME.
AGAIN, SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITOL LETTERS. LOL

Back
Top Bottom