Plant problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angels and guppies may be problematic. I think the angels will eat the guppies and/or the fry especially.

Here's a helpful thread for you when it comes time to get fish.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Under the articles section is some really good info. Of course its always good to ask a lot of questions as well. My biggest advice tip is not to listen to pet store employees. They tend to say anything in order to sell stuff.

Thesee plants are a bit tougher...The grass looking one looks like a saggitaria of some sort. The taller one appears to be an emersed grown water wisteria but I'd need a closer pic of the leaf.

The java fern can't be planted or it will die. Pull it up and tie it to a decoration with fishing line or black cotton thread. The water wisteria needs root tabs.

I agree with trying to post on the planted tank forum for plant id. I haven't bought a plant in over a year so am getting rusty on my ids.

Thesee plants are a bit tougher...The grass looking one looks like a saggitaria of some sort. The taller one appears to be an emersed grown water wisteria but I'd need a closer pic of the leaf.

The java fern can't be planted or it will die. Pull it up and tie it to a decoration with fishing line or black cotton thread. The water wisteria needs root tabs.

I agree with trying to post on the planted tank forum for plant id. I haven't bought a plant in over a year so am getting rusty on my ids.

Ok. Why can't it be planted?
And thanks for your help with identifying them! :)

Sent using Messenger Pigeon

Angels and guppies may be problematic. I think the angels will eat the guppies and/or the fry especially.

Here's a helpful thread for you when it comes time to get fish.

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Under the articles section is some really good info. Of course its always good to ask a lot of questions as well. My biggest advice tip is not to listen to pet store employees. They tend to say anything in order to sell stuff.

If they do get eaten, it's no big deal. I know that sounds heartless but for Christmas, my friend gave me like 30 guppies from her tank and I don't really have anyplace else to go with them. I've tried putting them in my established tank but my danios and tetras were being really territorial with them so I took them out.. I'll see when I get put them in I guess

Sent using Messenger Pigeon

Whatever works for you and circle of life blah blah. Its all good as long as you aren't flushing them! Big fish just naturally eat little fish. Some breeders feed guppy culls to their bettas.

Very low light and hard to grow plants. Research plants and lighting until you soak up as much information as you possibly can and go from there. There are very low light plants out there that will do MUCH better in your tank. Also, its good to just always have a test kit. Guessing in the dark is too stressful.

Thst is a florescent light, not an LED. A few plants that will do well in your tank are java fern, java moss, crypts, anubias, swords, vals, water sprite...to name a few. If your lighting is the problem, your only option would be to upgrade your light. Possibly add a second fixture. Your second option would be to just let it go and start doing research, save your money and then purchase a plant package from someone on one of the forums. We all make mistakes and have those impulse buys. I did the same thing over the weekend. I bought a red plant. Have no idea what it is. I do know that red plants require a lot of light. I put it in a spot that gets a good amount of light and isn't shadowed by anything. If it does well, yeah! If not, at least I have learned sometging about my lighting system.
This is my first major planted tank. I converted from plastic to all live plants a couple weeks ago.

The grassy plant is mondo grass and unfortunately for the OP not sag. So OP I would return that to the store and get a true aquatic plant that will work in your conditions. It looks like you also have pogostemon helferi (pic 4) which will eventually just waste away in it's current conditions, the lobelia should survive but it will get "leggy" without higher light and such.

Your best bet is to stick with the plants suggested by the others and do some research on lighting and work your way up, keeping plants is the same as keeping fish, no matter what the lfs says you can't just buy them and throw them in the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom