Plant questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Questions about house and aquarium plants in my aquarium:

1. Any cheap DIY plant holders I can make to hold the house plants so the leaves don’t go into my tank? Please post yours if you have made one and the materials you used and instructions on how to make it.

2. If I put a plant in my AquaClear filter can I put the roots down on the bottom of the media basket before the sponge?

3. Are house plants just as good as aquarium plants as far as flirtation?

4. When planting vallisneria or any other aquarium plant can I plant them in my gravel and do I have to use root tabs and liquid fertilizer?

5. Do aquarium plants have to be trimmed?

6. Will cardinal tetras, lemon tetras, rasboras, ember tetras, guppies, or cherry barbs eat plants?

7. Do I have to leave my tank lights on all day for the aquarium plants?

Following

Is there a way to follow a thread so I am notified of responses? Sorry new here and am eager to read responses to these questions.

Yes aquarium plants need to be trimmed.
You just need the lights on for about 6-7 hours a day.
Tetras and barbs won't eat plants as far as I know. If they nibble it won't kill the plants.

Nikkih just by commenting 3here you are following the thread

1. Any cheap DIY plant holders I can make to hold the house plants so the leaves don’t go into my tank? Please post yours if you have made one and the materials you used and instructions on how to make it.

Zip-Tie your way to success

2. If I put a plant in my AquaClear filter can I put the roots down on the bottom of the media basket before the sponge?

Anyway to get it in the filter without falling out will work

3. Are house plants just as good as aquarium plants as far as flirtation?

Neither are ideal for filtration, they will utilize nutrients from the water column yes, but will not "filter" the water.

4. When planting vallisneria or any other aquarium plant can I plant them in my gravel and do I have to use root tabs and liquid fertilizer?

All plants will benefit from fertilizer. Vals are no different. Yes, plant them into the gravel.

5. Do aquarium plants have to be trimmed?

Yes, unless want them to grow wild

6. Will cardinal tetras, lemon tetras, rasboras, ember tetras, guppies, or cherry barbs eat plants?

No

7. Do I have to leave my tank lights on all day for the aquarium plants?

6-10 hours a day in plenty. No more than that or algae will be an uphill battle.

See bold

Back
Top Bottom