Plant suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I'm going for!!! Really hope they do well because that looks awesome! :)

Thanks! I did some work on it last night, didn't like how the vals were getting messed up with the filter intake. It's a simple look but I like it too.

Do you have a recent pic of your tank?

Yep! Seeing how they grow with my setup before I get a ton.
Also need a black background to help everything pop.

I love my fish!!!

Just be aware if jungle Vals like your tank they may go crazy and you will need to do a lot of trimming. My friend has hers in a 75g and they will flow all the way across the surface as they can hit 6 feet in length. So she has to do weekly trimming on hers.

( not my pic )
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424807837.366613.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Totally down for trimming no biggy! It's a hobby! :)
Hope they take off like that. We'll have to see though. Do they tend to be faster growers? Or only when they're well established.

I love my fish!!!

I end up trimming mine every other week or so, no complaints. Makes me feel successful with my plants ;)

Not so great but here it is
View attachment 265314

I love my fish!!!
I have ghost glass 2, how many do you have?

Just be aware if jungle Vals like your tank they may go crazy and you will need to do a lot of trimming. My friend has hers in a 75g and they will flow all the way across the surface as they can hit 6 feet in length. So she has to do weekly trimming on hers.

( not my pic )
View attachment 265331

Wow I wish my tank looked that good, I knew I had a tall tank so thats why I went with them but thats pretty cool, do they ever get to much light draped on the surface like that?

I have ghost glass 2, how many do you have?

Wow I wish my tank looked that good, I knew I had a tall tank so thats why I went with them but thats pretty cool, do they ever get to much light draped on the surface like that?

It's not my pic or my tank.

And, they grow great draped across the tank, but other plants may get shaded out. My friend has high flow as hers is a Riverine set up for Hillstream Loaches.

29g is not big enought for having "background plants"... But some good back corners tanks I know (this is what I have in my setup) is vallisneria, anacharis, or crypts...

29g is not big enought for having "background plants"... But some good back corners tanks I know (this is what I have in my setup) is vallisneria, anacharis, or crypts...

Not arguing, just curious: what's you reason for saying it's not big enough for background plants?

I have a 16 bowfront-actually shared a pic earlier this thread-that I'm doing with a trio of swords then just filling in with jungle vals and dwarf sag. I wouldn't do those plants in a 10g but I think a 29g would work. Just my opinion :)

Not arguing, just curious: what's you reason for saying it's not big enough for background plants?

I have a 16 bowfront-actually shared a pic earlier this thread-that I'm doing with a trio of swords then just filling in with jungle vals and dwarf sag. I wouldn't do those plants in a 10g but I think a 29g would work. Just my opinion :)

I don't want to mean "Not big enought" sorry, I mean you'll be restricted to some smalls plants that grows tall, but doesn't take too much place...

For example, you could use some hygrophillias to make an awesome background in a 150g...

If this can give you an idea of what you can do with a 29g, here's my 29g (wide) tank:

(Sorry for big size of images)

247070DSC04588.jpg

240054IMG18022.jpg

965162149178016068384162073371545433337129959487n.jpg

As you can see on the first picture, on the back right, I used smalls hygrophillia difformis... They took huges proportions, so much I had to get rid of them... Growing too fast, taking all the space, making roots spreading everywhere...

Here's a video of my most recent aquascape, after a good trim

I hope this gives you inspiration.

I've found that Lemon Bacopa (Bacopa caroliniana) will grow tall and help fill in the background. I have grown it in a low tech tank and high tech tank.
Hit up the classified section if you are looking for plants. Half of mine came from other AA members. However, depending on where you/they are, this might not be the best time to ship plants.

I'll look that up and see what I can find in the classifieds. It's all good with weather though I'm in Oregon it was 60 and sunny today. Gotta love temperate rain forests. Not a bad winter.

I love my fish!!!

Back
Top Bottom