Planted 55g Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shrimp Johnson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there,

I'm new to the fish keeping hobby and would greatly appreciate some input from some fish keepers more experienced than I. I recently purchased and set up a low tech 55g planted tank (as well as a 10g quarantine tank), so now I'm trying to figure out a good stock to fill it with once it's cycled. I was thinking something like this:

Harlequin Rasbora x 15
Neon Dwarf Rainbow Fish x 12 (4m, 8f)
Black Ruby Barbs x 8 (4m, 4f)
Kuhli Loach x 8
Peppered Cory x 8
Bamboo Shrimp x 4 (Only after tank has matured)

On paper this doesn't seem like too many fish for a 55g, but I know there are greater factors at work, such as bio-load, space, etc; all things considered....is this list overstocked?

Additional info:
Running an Aquatech 30-60 and Aquaclear 110 filter
Low-tech planted tank w/ Aqueon 48" LED lighting
Sand substrate
Temperature at 78F
pH at 7.7
dGh at 7

Any input is greatly appreciated! :)

I wouldn't add loaches since they could uproot plants or disturb the substrate

I wouldn't add loaches since they could uproot plants or disturb the substrate

Even Kuhlis? I mean, I knew they burrowed, but they're fairly small as far as loaches go...are they really a big threat to my plants? :confused:

They are skittish so I wouldn't risk it. Also I would only add 4 neon rainbows

My kuhli loaches are fine, they are happy as could be and they are great bottom-feeders. I would not recommend 8 though because then it would be survival of the fittest and a few would die. Keep about 5-6 as they like to play around with each other.

I have 3 khulis in my heavily planted 10g, they are very gentle and have never bothered my plants. I've heard they do better in larger groups and hide less because they feel more secure. I can't imagine why 8 would be a problem, survival of the fittest shouldn't be a problem in a tank as large as yours. Its not like they are aggressive and pick each other off- i often find mine "snuggling" as i call it haha! (Affectionately sniffing each other and rubbing their bodies together) They just scavenge off the bottom , and unless you have other faster bottom feeders that might snatch up all the food, I think they'd be fine.
Definitely my favorite fish I have:) they are very cute and fun to watch.

They just scavenge off the bottom , and unless you have other faster bottom feeders that might snatch up all the food, I think they'd be fine.
Definitely my favorite fish I have:) they are very cute and fun to watch.

Do you think they'll be fine sharing the bottom with the cories? I should hope that the footprint of a 55g is large enough for both, but I certainly don't want to overcrowd or stress the fish!

The cories might have trouble getting extra food off the bottom with all of the kuhli loaches, but then again, my kuhli loaches only come out to eat when there is food and the rest of the time they are playing around or hiding, the cories stick around and eat all of the food the kuhli loaches miss (which is not much).

Those neon rainbows can get large and aggressive in my experience

I've read that Dwarf Neons only get about 2 inches long, are you sure you aren't thinking of Boesemani or Turquoise Rainbowfish? (I had considered these two previously and I agree, a school of these might be a bit snug in a 55g).

This is the fish I mean to add: Dwarf Neon (Praecox) Rainbowfish
Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia praecox) Profile

The cories might have trouble getting extra food off the bottom with all of the kuhli loaches, but then again, my kuhli loaches only come out to eat when there is food and the rest of the time they are playing around or hiding, the cories stick around and eat all of the food the kuhli loaches miss (which is not much).

Hm...would I be able to remedy this by doing a small nocturnal feeding for the kuhlis so they'll be less inclined to pig out on the cories' food?

It would be worth a try. Like my dad used to say " its your tank"

Fair enough, haha. If I decide to keep both cories and kuhlis I'll be sure to closely moniter the feeding situation to ensure everybody gets their fair share. Thank you very much for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom