Planted Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Javier Alexis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good things and bad thing about tank with plants? Or fully planted tanks?

Well, the only thing I find bad:

More expensive than plastic plants, need special light and sometimes liquid ferts, root tabs, special substrate etc..
Good:
Look very nice, very natural, awesome, helps reduce ammonia, nitrates, helps maintain water cleaner, I personally love live plants, no more plastic plants ever for me

Maybe I do plant a 10-15G tank.

Which plant do you recommend? One That looks nice and don't grow to much..

Java fern, java moss, swords are all great low light plants but will thrive with better light

An amazon sword will eventually fill up a 10g tank mine is taking up almost 1/2 of mine and I've only had it a few months.

Good things and bad thing about tank with plants? Or fully planted tanks?

When getting started with planted tanks I'd recommend just starting with a low light/low tech approach. This approach can be done with inexpensive light setups (often just a matter of replacing your bulbs with a different type), simple fertilizers, and very generic substrates (gravel, sand, or none at all, for example). In the beginning I'd just google (and check out your LFSs) "low light aquarium plants" and start compiling a list of possible plants you might like to keep, then begin researching these plants online and also on AA's forums (Gen Disc and Planted Tanks sections). You also may want to post a picture of your current lighting system so we can give you a good idea of what you're working with and what you might need to do to upgrade it.

The most important thing to know when you're thinking of going down this path is that you can have a very lush and beautiful planted tank without a ton of work/money, or you can have a lush and beautiful planted tank with very expensive hardware and TONS of work. Both are extremely rewarding and addictive in their own ways. :)

Just a note: snails are perfectly natural and beneficial in planted tanks as they help eat decaying plant matter. Snail explosions typically arise due to overfeeding so don't fret if you discover a hitchhiker or two when the time comes. ;)

Good luck and keep us posted! (y)

And I just plant the tank before get any fish right ?

I heard that it's better if I have the tank running already with fish To have nitrates etc. it's that true?

I think they are just awesome pretty and amazing...I would never do a tank with fake plants

When getting started with planted tanks I'd recommend just starting with a low light/low tech approach. This approach can be done with inexpensive light setups (often just a matter of replacing your bulbs with a different type), simple fertilizers, and very generic substrates (gravel, sand, or none at all, for example). In the beginning I'd just google (and check out your LFSs) "low light aquarium plants" and start compiling a list of possible plants you might like to keep, then begin researching these plants online and also on AA's forums (Gen Disc and Planted Tanks sections). You also may want to post a picture of your current lighting system so we can give you a good idea of what you're working with and what you might need to do to upgrade it.

The most important thing to know when you're thinking of going down this path is that you can have a very lush and beautiful planted tank without a ton of work/money, or you can have a lush and beautiful planted tank with very expensive hardware and TONS of work. Both are extremely rewarding and addictive in their own ways. :)

Just a note: snails are perfectly natural and beneficial in planted tanks as they help eat decaying plant matter. Snail explosions typically arise due to overfeeding so don't fret if you discover a hitchhiker or two when the time comes. ;)

Good luck and keep us posted! (y)

image-880465099.jpg

image-3122825606.jpg

image-1472193881.jpg

This is my 10G. And this are my lights ! There are LED !

Back
Top Bottom