Planted tank problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deano320

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55g tank, which is planted! I am struggling to keep the plants alive, they are going brown and shriveling up after a week or 2!! Is there anything i can do to solve this or am i doing anything wrong??

My ph is sitting about 7/7.5, my temp is at 28! My water is great no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites!! I have my lighting on a timer so plants are getting 10hrs of light! I have attached a pic of my lighting!

The plants i have:
2 x amazon swords
4 x lilaeopsis
2 x anubias nana
2 x crypts

Im not using root tabs atm as I am waiting for them to arrive!! Could this be my prob?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lighting

Attachments

• 1421788128822.jpg
    1421788128822.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 64
If you don't want algae problems is turn your light down to max 8 hours a day.

1.Are there fish in the tank to provide co2(you didn't mention any) or a co2 system?

2. Did you let your tank finish cycling before adding the plants? I made this mistake and some of my plants are paying the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

1. Yea i have fish is the tank its prob about 80% stocked!!

2. Yess tank has been cycled for over a year! Only started planting live plants last few months tho to try and give it ago!

You could have gotten a bad pick of plants. If all water levels are normal. I was at Petsmart last night and one of the plants they had looked dead in its package.

Another thing is if plants are grown above ground they have a hard time adjusting to underwater submerged life.

And you might have heard they when you get a new plant, they get worse before they get better. Just keep them trimmed and picking off the dead stems, it will eventually make a come back and start growing.

1.Are there fish in the tank to provide co2(you didn't mention any) or a co2 system?

2. Did you let your tank finish cycling before adding the plants? I made this mistake and some of my plants are paying the price.

pretty much ignore all of this please.

Many folks run planted tanks with 10+ hours a day. I personally run 10 and don't have algae at all.

You don't co2 or excel to have low light plants thrive.

fully cycled or not doesn't have anything to do with dying plants.

I have a 55g tank, which is planted! I am struggling to keep the plants alive, they are going brown and shriveling up after a week or 2!! Is there anything i can do to solve this or am i doing anything wrong??

My ph is sitting about 7/7.5, my temp is at 28! My water is great no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites!! I have my lighting on a timer so plants are getting 10hrs of light! I have attached a pic of my lighting!

The plants i have:
2 x amazon swords
4 x lilaeopsis
2 x anubias nana
2 x crypts

Im not using root tabs atm as I am waiting for them to arrive!! Could this be my prob?

ok so you need to have nitrates in a planted tank. 10-20 is suggested. or else you will have necrosis. nitrogen is one of the 3 main macro nutrients, you must provide all macros and micros for plants to live. YES this means even in a low tech or no tech planted tank they still need these nutrients. but they can sometimes come from things like fish food and fish waste. etc.

In your case I am suspecting normal melt back which is common when first adding new plants to a tank. Just like fish they need to adjust to the new conditions. focus on observing new growth and ignore / trim off old dying stuff.

Second is nutrients. you should have root tabs, pretty much a must have for swords and other rosette type plants. aka heavy root feeding plants.

the anubias rhizome should not be buried, not sure if you know this or not. should be attached to wood or rock.

look into PPS pro dosing or EI dosing, both use dry ferts. these salts are far cheaper then buying the premixed bottles from the stores which last you 1/10th of the time that dry ferts would.

ensure you have good flow and providing weekly water changes at about 30-50%

give you plants time... you need to expect the melt and then recover. this could take a month or more. high tech setups will spring back sooner. sometimes new growth like in 4-7 days. low tech could be a week or two.

Not to pile on but... dude, you should really put some thought into posts.. this is really not true or accurate..
Op- Phillip is on.. listen and respond;)
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not to pile on but... dude, you should really put some thought into posts.. this is really not true or accurate..

Sorry for the bad info, I'm learning. I actually was recommended on this forum to only keep my lights on 8 hours a day. As for the rest I was throwing out suggestions :/ sorry I'll be quiet and leave it to people who know their stuff.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Sorry for the bad info, I'm learning. I actually was recommended on this forum to only keep my lights on 8 hours a day. As for the rest I was throwing out suggestions :/ sorry I'll be quiet and leave it to people who know their stuff.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

8 hrs is actually good! Plants will do fine in a cycling tank and I'm not sure the fish creating ample co2 thing is accurate;) stick around! We're all still learning!

Back
Top Bottom