planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
at what point does my tank become "planted" i have a few plants (dont know what they are) and how do you know if you need c02

IMO, there are two types of tanks. A fish tank (with or without plants), and a plant tank (with or without fish). I think the term planted would be applicable, though, for any tank with live plants in it.

Your need for co2 depends on several factors... lighting, growth, fertlizers, etc. For a simple low light planted tank, co2 injection is not a necessity.

could you possibly identify any of my plants please, the two white/green plants in the middle are plastic

37953-albums1631-picture11893.jpg

tmdavies said:
could you possibly identify any of my plants please, the two white/green plants in the middle are plastic

Hi tmdavies. The plant in the middle looks like an amazon sword. Are those plants on the sides are all the same? Looks like wysteria. Is the purplish plant real? You might want to plant the stem plants separately or a few stems per spot for better growth. For the amazon sword, the decaying(yellowish) leaves won't fix itself and you would want to trim that. So that the plant will just focus on distributing nutrients on better leaves and on making new leaves.

yes the purple plants are real got them from my lsf, the guy bruised the leafs on the sword when he bagged them. should i just cut them off or take the plant out and remove the tie and seperate them stems? I am new to keeping tanks and very very inexperienced with aquatic plants lol

tmdavies said:
yes the purple plants are real got them from my lsf, the guy bruised the leafs on the sword when he bagged them. should i just cut them off or take the plant out and remove the tie and seperate them stems? I am new to keeping tanks and very very inexperienced with aquatic plants lol

Just trim the decaying leaves of the amazon sword. For the stem plants, remove the tie and plant them separately or a few together.

i think they are called purple waffle? idk.

You don't need co2.

If you have any leaves that are yellowing or broken then remove them off of the sword plant.

You can untie the bunched plants and separate the stems a bit, it keeps them from rotting.

One Power-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 40W 106.68cm (42in) T8
One Aqua-Glo Fluorescent Aquarium Tube 40W 106.68cm (42in) T8

thanks for all your input guys

I think you have low/low-mid lighting. I'm not sure though. Somebody might want to chime in.

Also chiming in on low (as I do the conversion in my head, gotta love being raised in Toronto, metric FTW!)

Back
Top Bottom