planting a 29 gallon high after cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
allaboutfish said:
im definently gonna have swimming space mostly swimming space the only tings im thinking of putting in there are some water lilys from walmart 3 for the back and some something nana (cant remember the actually name)

Just keep in mind that as the lilly pads grow, they cut light off to the plants in the tank and too many of them could affect the o2/co2 exchange on the waters surface (a seal if you will) and could starve your fish of needed o2 IMO.

would three be too many i could just get one and put some other larger plants in the back around it like amazon swors and then do two nanas on the front to the sides and some really small plants in front of my rock structure or on the sides

is this a fully aquatic plant or one of those plants that dont surviv under water?

Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae "Micro Sword"

allaboutfish said:
would three be too many i could just get one and put some other larger plants in the back around it like amazon swors and then do two nanas on the front to the sides and some really small plants in front of my rock structure or on the sides

It depends on your tank, fish, plants, etc. I think you'll know if there's too many just by the amount of light getting into the tank and to the plants.

i was thinking of these plants
1-lili pad center of the back,
2-java ferns,
some-micro swords,
2-anubias nanas
the tall plants will be in the back and the rest will be in the front and middle. is this good for the angelfish and tetras? also are most of these plants found at petco or petsmart i can trim them if they cover too much or get to tall.

i was thinking of these plants
1-lili pad center of the back,
2-java ferns,
some-micro swords,
2-anubias nanas
the tall plants will be in the back and the rest will be in the front and middle. is this good for the angelfish and tetras? also are most of these plants found at petco or petsmart i can trim them if they cover too much or get to tall.

I've seen the Java fern at my petco, but never the others. I'm sure it varies for each store, so check. Petco and Petsmart are notorious for selling non-aquatic plants, so go to plantgeek.net and look them over so you don't get the wrong ones. I found some good aquatic plants at walmart of all places, but I'd QT them for a couple of weeks if they go into a tank with fish (I got ick from a new plant once).

5639215640_a334188672.jpg
what else should i and could i do to this (plants driftwood etc)

what else should i and could i do to this (plants driftwood etc)
Pic0085 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DW with Java Fern is a classic (have it in all my tanks :)). Anacharis is good, Java Moss too. Get a rock (aqua safe) puts some java moss on it and use a hair net to keep it in place. After a while the hair net can't be seen and the moss attaches to the rock. You could use a terracotta pot or saucer and do the same thing and if you have fish that like to hide a pot is a great, cheap cave :D.

DW with Java Fern is a classic (have it in all my tanks :)). Anacharis is good, Java Moss too. Get a rock (aqua safe) puts some java moss on it and use a hair net to keep it in place. After a while the hair net can't be seen and the moss attaches to the rock. You could use a terracotta pot or saucer and do the same thing and if you have fish that like to hide a pot is a great, cheap cave :D.
dw?

oh ok! i was thinking either the plant on driftwood i saw on petco's site or mopalani wood (which my lfs carries)

awesome! my local lfs had different sizes of dw when i was there any they probably get new kinds every sjipment ill probably get some when i go and special order my bolivian ram

are you say are they real lily pads bc our walmart around hear doesnt sell them anymore if so yes they are actually bulbs you have to plant

allaboutfish said:
are you say are they real lily pads bc our walmart around hear doesnt sell them anymore if so yes they are actually bulbs you have to plant

Ya sorry I just noticed how bad that post was. See I don't have live plants or want one. What I meant was if it was fake and just floated around the top of the aquarium. As far as walmart, around here I haven't seen one with fish in awhile. I live in Canada, Ontario near London area.
Sorry about that

Back
Top Bottom