Planting tips amd types?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tadpole1567

Aquarium Advice Activist
Soo as of now i have no live plants in my tank. Would love to get rid of my plastic decor and get live plants. I havent ever really messed with live plants in an aquarium.
6 angels
2 dwarf gouramis
2 tetras
1 bolivian ram
1 large pleco and 1 small albino bristlenose pleco.
What types of plants would be best for my aquarium and the fish. Also would i need new gravel possibly?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most plecos will uproot plants and/or eat them. Bristlenose will not but common plecos and most others will pretty much look at your plants as a salad bar and a place to dig.

Thats my pleco. The albino one is only an inch long. The gravel is just some that i picked up from a local store when i first got the aquarium. I dont wanna bother putting plants in if hes gonna dig them all up lol

Attachments

• 1399426939321.jpg
    1399426939321.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 83
You can always choose plants that do best when tied to driftwood and rocks. Anubias, java fern, various mosses. If they're tied on, your pleco will be less likely to mess with them.

My advice is to choose a whole bunch of low-light plants. Adding many plants at once will lessen your chances of algae problems. Some good contenders would be java fern, anubias, amazon sword, vallisneria, and crypts.

Okay thank yall for the tips :)

You can always choose plants that do best when tied to driftwood and rocks. Anubias, java fern, various mosses. If they're tied on, your pleco will be less likely to mess with them.

My advice is to choose a whole bunch of low-light plants. Adding many plants at once will lessen your chances of algae problems. Some good contenders would be java fern, anubias, amazon sword, vallisneria, and crypts.

I've heard you should never put more than two plants in a tank at a time?

I've never heard that either. Since plants introduce no bioload, other than some hitchhiker snaiks, I can't see any reason to limit yourself to two plants at a time. I'm curious to know why as well.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im for sure curious to so i know what to get and how much

Adding many plants at once will lessen your chances of algae problems. Some good contenders would be java fern, anubias, amazon sword, vallisneria, and crypts.

Um...why ?
Adding 1 or 20 plants, the main reasons you'll get Algae are:

Too much light (6-8hrs is all you need)

Overfeeding/poor water quality

Not enough Ferts for plants to compete with Algae.

An Algae outbreak means something is out of balance.

I apologize if I misread your post. It's late.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure it makes sense. If you can only one or two plants at a time, then you have to make multiple trips to Petsmart to get more plants, along with maybe some other things each trip....

Back
Top Bottom