Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvusexybeast

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want plants in my 36gal freshwater aquarium but my tank is fully stocked with fish all ready.

All websites I looked at demonstrated installing plants with the tank empty. I wasn't sure if that was a problem or not.

The fish are 3 gouramis, 4 platys, 3 Molly's, 4 hatchets, 1 loach, and 1 parrot cichlid. 20 watt light.

Until this just done rescape I have never planted in an almost empty tank. Always full with fish. That's how I became a member of the "Wet Arm Society". Usually the videos are done on new upcoming tanks. Don't know why they don't show some full ones. You can do it with water in just fine, it's just a little "wetter". Go for it! Just keep a dry towel on your shoulder. OS.

I've added plants to a tank with fish so I don't see a major problem. However, the loach may uproot the plants.

Like OS says keep a wet towl on your shoulder and tweezers come in handy to put plants in to substrate. They tend to wanna float. Kinda annoys me some times. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am always pulling my plants out of my tank and replacing more. I just do a water change if I make the substrate a mess

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do it during a water change so your arm is less wet :D and seriously you can see more. Also your lights might need more research to determine suitability for plants. Have fun!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can do plants with with a fully stocked tank, no big deal. That light is only going to be good for hardy low light plants. Anubias, java fern, java moss, swords, anacharis, and cryptocoryne are all good options. BUT, a big BUT depending on what kid of loach you have AND te blood parrot are a problem. Blood Parrots grow quite large and dont belong in a 36g community tank. They need a 55g minimum and can get territorial. What type of loach is it?

I'm planting an inhabited 65. I take at least 5 gallons out or risk getting my armpit wet! And, a stepladder is helpful or required if your tank is on a stand. I've had my busier fish knock a few sprigs of plant loose. I just stick it back in and figure that will cease once it roots, right? The Java and Anubias are tied down and not going anywhere.

But, listen to the pp. You need to rehome your cichlid before it matures enough to go after your other fish.

I don't have loaches but I thought six busy Cory cats and a bristlenose would be trouble with the sprigs. They aren't. It's the molly that causes trouble charging around like a bull in a china shop.

I had the cichlid in my 150gal but it was about to die cuz of all the other fish were nipping on him so I moved it to my only other tank. So far it is doing fine but he's a bit stressed. And the loach is a Black Kuhlii Loach

Back
Top Bottom