Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianmac14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I've recently set up a lovely 53 gallon aquarium with sand. I have put real plants direct into the sand which I was told was ok. All I seem to be doing is fishing out leaves and small plant material. Is this common with plants or is the sand not a good base for them?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420380492.958229.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Plants may go through a "melting" period when switching tanks due to different water, light and ferts. They should adjust and begin to grow once they acclimate to your tank.

The sand bed doesn't look very deep at all. A little knock by a passing fish will easily uproot them. Some fish also pick at leaves too.

Once the roots take hold they should be a bit harder to pull up but consider deepening the substrate.

Other than water and light, plants need carbon and nutrients. I recommend you purchase both in liquid form to get used to dosing.

Looks like you have chosen a good mix of low light plants which are good for beginners and do not demand as much of the latter.

Often people do not dose carbon and fertilisers with low light plants mainly because their is sufficient amounts already available in the source water but if you begin to see deficiencies consider following this advice.

What lighting do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom