Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owp

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, can anyone advise me on some aquatic plants for my 60litre tank.
The tank has been running about 2 years and only has an ornament and Marimo miss balls.
Can someone suggest some plants that are cheap, fill space easily and do not require much attention or fertisilier. I used to have elodea densa and I might add some of that too. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas? [emoji3]

Anubias is pretty much unkillable, or anacharis. Anacharis is a water weed, you can plant it or just let it float. It's really easy to propagate as well.
I've also had luck with water wisteria.
My tank has no ferts (other than fish poo ><) and just the basic lights that come with the tank.

Great thanks, not had much luck with anacharis in the past but might try Anubias and water wisteria. Anyone else have any other ideas?

dwarf sagittaria, limnophila heterophylla, java fern, crypt wendtii, crypt undulata, java or peacock moss

Plant info

Hi goatnad. I was grazing thru threads and found yours, suggesting plants. Your thread was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I had a 55 gal. Saltwater tank but had to break it down, illness. Now a 23 Fluval vista will due me just fine filled with fresh water, plants, rocks, and a schooling small fish species. Do you have any suggestions re: rocks and if so, what must be done before adding to a tank?

Hi goatnad. I was grazing thru threads and found yours, suggesting plants. Your thread was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I had a 55 gal. Saltwater tank but had to break it down, illness. Now a 23 Fluval vista will due me just fine filled with fresh water, plants, rocks, and a schooling small fish species. Do you have any suggestions re: rocks and if so, what must be done before adding to a tank?

I really like seiryu stone and use it in a lot of my aquascapes. I also like elephant skin stone but don't have a lot of it. I tried dragon stone(Ohio stone) but I always found it a bit harder to scape with and the stone needed a lot of cleaning before use. My next stone to use will be either manten stone or black pagoda stone.

Before use clean well under water and use a brush to scrub if neccessary. Put a few drops of vinegar on the rock to test for calcium. If there is a lot of fiss then its not a rock you want to use as it can affect your water chemistry.

My favorite easy plants is an Italian valisneria. It grows and reproduces very fast, has a jungly look to it, and is practically bulletproof. I used it in my 10 gallon and it grew without any fertilizer, root tabs, etc. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom