plants getting bigger, what should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokey11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys! My fresh water plants are getting bigger and bigger, at this rate they will take over the tank my next month!

What should I do? Clip some of it off? starve my fish so they'll start eating the plants? Reduce sunlight and co2?

ForumRunner_20121002_000245.jpg

You will need to trim them. Try to trim all the dead or dying stuff off first and see how it looks. Get a pair of stainless scissors to do this and only use them on the aquarium. I have heard horror stories of accidental contaminations through scissors and total loss of stock, so be careful in that respect.

smokey11 said:
Hi guys! My fresh water plants are getting bigger and bigger, at this rate they will take over the tank my next month!

What should I do? Clip some of it off? starve my fish so they'll start eating the plants? Reduce sunlight and co2?

Your tank looks phenomenal!

In my personal opinion, you should never limit your plants or train you fish to eat them. All plants do is help!

As Blase said before me, trimming is a must. Personally I think you can let the plants go a little more before trimming back :) but I love me the jungle look. Get dead, discolored, or dying leaves first.

View attachment 121899

You want to what you your plants? Are you insane? There are members here (myself included) that would kill (just kidding... right) to have their planted tanks look like that. As was said, let 'em be ... but trimming the dead or dying leaves is a must.

Well I suppose it the plants are on the verge of completely filling the tank, that's one thing. But I only pretty much see Cardinals / Neons ... I'd say they have plenty of swimming room!(y)

Tank looks great!

Trim them up if you like and replant the trimmings, or offer the trimmings as a ROAK to a member. ;)

Welcome to AA! You could thin out the jungle, but why? I'm envious of your ability to grow plants.

Thank you so much guys. I'll take your advice(s) and only trim the dead leaves for now. See how it goes!

I also have a dwarf puffer fish and 7 shrimps n several more fishes that I dunno the name of. Would be great if there was an encyclopedia with big photos for me to look up the rest of the fishes

Back
Top Bottom