Plants have brown film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
So as you all know I just did a gravel change, there's a brown film on my plants that comes off if I rub the leaves, is this the dust that stained them or maybe diatoms, if so how do I treat, I read spot treatment with peroxide opinions would be great.

Pictures of the plants when I rub them they feel rubbery thinking algae
64b1a8cbbe0bcb7005eef74e608df1e4.jpg

98ef5f227b69f725ac6e32202c529414.jpg

I had a similar problem on crypts, my nitrites were way way high so I assumed it was diatoms, once it's advanced I couldn't remove all of it by rubbing, I even used a soft tooth brush on them

It was most likely my tank still establishing itself, my nitrates went back down on their own (I didn't change my pwc schedule), but I had to trim my crypts a little at a time bcuz "infected" leaves were all fuzzy brown and new leaves were coming out clean

Dunno if you have the same thing, BTW I did use some prime to keep my fish safe from the nitrites

No I have no problems there, tank parameters are perfect ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Water temp 78
Nitrate 25
Ph 7.5

I do dose ferts maybe I'm over doing it I'll look it up and do some research

Your tank will be high in silicates from sand and it looks like texas holey rock. The diatoms will pass

Not sure what kind of tank you have but mollies will devour diatoms. I have a few tanks and when ever I need ornaments cleaned or my Anubius or java fern cleaned I just put it in my molly tank and they go crazy over it.

Back
Top Bottom