Plants I think have Cryptocoryne Disease Cryptocoryne Rot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I was looking at my tank today and I see like every plant has holes in the leaves, and some look like somethings eating the edges (possibly the ramshorn snails im trying to get rid of that are almost gone), I did read on this and it says it could be caused by high nitrates which I do have and cannot get them lower, I'm totally lost cause they all sprouted new leaves and look like they are growing fine but even the new leaves have holes.

I'm not good at measuring light but I have a 48" led fixture with 8 DAYLIGHT whites, 2 color enhancing reds, and 4 lunar blues, my Nitrate is still over 60 no matter what I do big gravel vacs, filter cleaning, decor cleaning, more frequent water changes, lowering the food fed to 4 days a week 2 small times a day, NOTHING I do lowers my Nitrate and drum what I read this disease is caused by high nitrates.

So what can I do??

Okay so I was looking at my tank today and I see like every plant has holes in the leaves, and some look like somethings eating the edges (possibly the ramshorn snails im trying to get rid of that are almost gone), I did read on this and it says it could be caused by high nitrates which I do have and cannot get them lower, I'm totally lost cause they all sprouted new leaves and look like they are growing fine but even the new leaves have holes.

I'm not good at measuring light but I have a 48" led fixture with 8 DAYLIGHT whites, 2 color enhancing reds, and 4 lunar blues, my Nitrate is still over 60 no matter what I do big gravel vacs, filter cleaning, decor cleaning, more frequent water changes, lowering the food fed to 4 days a week 2 small times a day, NOTHING I do lowers my Nitrate and drum what I read this disease is caused by high nitrates.

So what can I do??

First of all, what you have read is wrong. Secondly I doubt that nitrogen the second largest element that the plant is made up of after carbon is destroying your plants and thirdly, 60ppm nitrates is not high.

Plants need other nutrients like potassium and phosphate in large amounts and then they need the trace elements like iron and zinc etc.

Id suspect that you are not using any form of co2 additive? You can buy some Seachem flourish excel and add that at recommended doses to see if there is any quick improvement that would indicate a co2 deficiency.

Photos?

Tank size? (Gallons and height)

Inhabitants?

Also what is the wattage for your light
55 gallon tank
Mostly tetras of different species
1 Calico BN
2 clown loaches im getting ready to return to my lfs they took care of my snail infestation, I still have about a dozen in there though
My light fixture is led pods so I don't know the actual watt each pod is a 1 w draw, I can get you the lumen output though.
fb48e68db65a9694d5ca7662b4db0c78.jpg

First of all, what you have read is wrong. Secondly I doubt that nitrogen the second largest element that the plant is made up of after carbon is destroying your plants and thirdly, 60ppm nitrates is not high.

Plants need other nutrients like potassium and phosphate in large amounts and then they need the trace elements like iron and zinc etc.

Id suspect that you are not using any form of co2 additive? You can buy some Seachem flourish excel and add that at recommended doses to see if there is any quick improvement that would indicate a co2 deficiency.
I know 60 ppm isn't high i don't worry about nitrates anymore but when I looked up holes in aquarium pants it did state that to high of Nitrate and the remedy was to lower them by doing more water changes and to cut down in my aeration and water flow

Some of my anubis have the same issues but it didnt kill them.
Idk about high nitrates either as mine never logged above the 3rd orange meter (api test)

I know 60 ppm isn't high i don't worry about nitrates anymore but when I looked up holes in aquarium pants it did state that to high of Nitrate and the remedy was to lower them by doing more water changes and to cut down in my aeration and water flow

That Wikipedia reference was from a book first published in 1985. Knowledge moves on and you can't take everything you read on the internet at face value bud.

Everything in this hobby seems to blame high nitrates or phosphates. It's been a recurring theme for years. Funny how there are so many products out there that are made to reduce them and every manufacturer is on the gravy train.

You can't ignore Co2 bud.

That Wikipedia reference was from a book first published in 1985. Knowledge moves on and you can't take everything you read on the internet at face value bud.

Everything in this hobby seems to blame high nitrates or phosphates. It's been a recurring theme for years. Funny how there are so many products out there that are made to reduce them and every manufacturer is on the gravy train.

You can't ignore Co2 bud.
So should I do the flourish or should I do the capsules with oscomote

Will it harm my fish, I know the swords are root feeders so that's why I thought the dyi root tabs would be better

Will it harm my fish, I know the swords are root feeders so that's why I thought the dyi root tabs would be better

Again. Are they really root feeders? Excel won't harm fish at recommended levels. It is a source of liquid carbon that the osmocote does not contain.

Do I really need co2 with 5 plants im not doing a full planted tank, I mean it probably wouldn't hurt but when it comes to my tank im so worried about adding things

My Crypts took off once I added Root Tabs. I bury them as deep as I can.

Check your Crypt /Sword crowns if the crown is buried the Crypt can die. I see at least 1 I'd pull up a bit.

My current plant ferts are
DIY Osmocote Root Tabs
Thrive all in One liquid 3x weekly
Excel daily ...will be switching to Glut once it runs out.

Can you grow Crypts and lowlight plants without excel ? Yes. But since you are having issues you might try it.

Root Tabs are a must IME
For Swords and Crypts.

Excel ? Try it, you might like it. Unless you are growing Vals...then use 1/2 dose.

Again. Are they really root feeders? Excel won't harm fish at recommended levels. It is a source of liquid carbon that the osmocote does not contain.

??? My plant club says Swords are heavy Root feeders and once I added Root Caps my dwarf Chain Swords exploded.
I think I'll take Tom Barr's words as truth. He also recommends CO2. But I use it when I can. Still manage to grow easy plants. Med-high light stuff really needs it for sure.

My Chain Swords IMG_0052.jpg
IMG_0151.jpgIMG_0160.jpgIMG_0236.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

These are straight sand tanks. I used Root Caps and Leaf Zone. Nothing else in the early days of these tanks. Excel was added ? If I remembered 1x a month ??

These are 10g tanks so easier to grow in.

Check your Crypt /Sword crowns if the crown is buried the Crypt can die. I see at least 1 I'd pull up a bit.

DIY Osmocote Root Tabs

Can you grow Crypts and lowlight plants without excel ? Yes. But since you are having issues you might try it.

Root Tabs are a must IME
For Swords and Crypts.

Excel ? Try it, you might like it. Unless you are growing Vals...then use 1/2 dose.
Well the thing about the light is I don't know if it's low light as my fixture isn't measured in watts I don't believe, I have 8 whites that are for plants that are 10,000 Kelvin rating per pod, each pod puts out 1 watt, then I have blues that are not measured in Kelvin but are measured in nm actinic at 445 per, same with my reds so I don't know how to measure lighting output but I do know I have every "spectrum" so if we're going by watts I put out 14 cause each pod produces 1 watt, but led penetrate and are more intense than a fluorescent.. This is where I'm confused. So I got flourish root tabs but they didn't have excel so I didn't get any liquid any suggestions on that

DIY Osmocote Root Tabs

Root Tabs are a must IME
For Swords and Crypts.

What do you mean crown being pulled up some, im totally new to plants

I'm not trying to do a full planted tank I just have some Anubias and a couple swords on one side of the tank the other side im doing something totally different cause I'm slowly going to be changing my gravel over to finer stuff not sand though.

EDIT : okay the crown is right where the roots start and plant begins?

Ordered flourish tabs, flourish liquid

The fish store wanted 15.00 for 10 tabs I got them on amazon for 7.00, the 500ml of liquid was 16.00

Back
Top Bottom