Plants in the filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 LARA

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does this realy help with bioload?
I am always trimming Cabomba in my 25 gal Betta tank.

My 75 gal tank iz definatly stocked full

75 Gal
2 Black Mollies
1 Marble Molly
1 Silver molly
9 Swordtails
4 Albino Corydora Cats
4 Pepper Corydora Cats
4 Emerald Green Corydora Cats
2 Razbora
6 Neon Tetras
3 Guppies
3 Micky Mouse Platties
4 Zebra Danios
1 Plecostomus

Looking to add 13 mor Cory Cats

Does this realy help with bioload?
I am always trimming Cabomba in my 25 gal Betta tank.

My 75 gal tank iz definatly stocked full

75 Gal
2 Black Mollies
1 Marble Molly
1 Silver molly
9 Swordtails
4 Albino Corydora Cats
4 Pepper Corydora Cats
4 Emerald Green Corydora Cats
2 Razbora
6 Neon Tetras
3 Guppies
3 Micky Mouse Platties
4 Zebra Danios
1 Plecostomus

Looking to add 13 mor Cory Cats
Depending on what kind of pleco you have I think you could be ok. Plants in the filter is a iffy thing. Some sources say it is hazardous because of plants in the impeller some people love it. I think it depends on your filter.

13 more cories, but you only have 2 rasbora? I'd round out that rasbora school personally before adding more cories...

As to the plants in the filter thing, it seems like they wouldn't last very long due to lack of light... Cabomba in particular is pretty light hungry and fragile enough the filter working might damage it pretty easily.

13 more cories, but you only have 2 rasbora? I'd round out that rasbora school personally before adding more cories...

As to the plants in the filter thing, it seems like they wouldn't last very long due to lack of light... Cabomba in particular is pretty light hungry and fragile enough the filter working might damage it pretty easily.

A common Pleco and yea I was going to add 2 to 4 Razbora

Supposedly philodendron is really good at soaking up the bad stuff with it's free floating root system. I'm going to try it in my HOB's but I'm worried about the roots getting in the impeller, so I may find a way to attach them to the back with the roots in the water.

You can improvise some latchhook material, its a plastic mesh screen looking thing you get from craft shops.

A common Pleco and yea I was going to add 2 to 4 Razbora

Common plecos get BIG, too big for a 75 gallon thats as heavily stocked as you're going for unless you plan on upgrading to a 150+ gallon tank within the next year. Swap it for a bristlenose or clown pleco, they stay smaller.

Luananeko said:
Common plecos get BIG, too big for a 75 gallon thats as heavily stocked as you're going for unless you plan on upgrading to a 150+ gallon tank within the next year. Swap it for a bristlenose or clown pleco, they stay smaller.

+1 get a bristlenose great algae eater.

i love the Pleco and she is about young adult size and am aware of its posable 20" size.
They will be getting much more space in the future.

Last edited:
i love the Pleco and she is about young adult size and am aware of its posable 20" size.
They will be getting much more space in the future.

Yeah, the common plecos really are quite lovable, I agree :) I just feel obligated to warn folks about their max size since I've seen so many people keep them in tanks way too small (like a 12" one in a 20 gallon tank... ugh) and claim "he's fine and happy and I'll never give him up and don't care what you say"!

I'd be worried about the roots getting stuck in the impeller. IMO putting plants in a planter and hanging it inside the actual tank would be better.
Spathiphyllum species (peace lily) and syngoniums like arrowhead work well. Also dracaena (ribbon plant) works well. I have all three growing well in my riparium.

Back
Top Bottom