Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2018, 01:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plants /water changes /fish behavior

So it's not new news about me adding an abundance of plants into my tank, every since I have done this and they have started to grow and fill out my rainbows seem to prefer being at the bottom weaving in and out through the plants, one (herbalexrodi) has even become a bit aggressive to my serpae tetras chasing them out of her new "area", the boseman and irani red are still mid swimmers but also go down and weave in and out of the plants, I dint know if this is normal so fish are healthy as an ox.

As far as water changes I have been doing 50% a week, I was going to go with 2x30% or 2x50% but in a 55 gallon it's really taxing on my neck (digenerative disk disease), but that's not the big deal as I can just do smaller buckets, but my water just went up, my water bill is $450.00 every 3 months with me only doing 1 50% but I've read that with heavily planted tanks you want to do more water changes to reset the parameters so that things don't get crazy?

Right now I have a lot of crypt melt that's falling off and sticking to my filter inlets but a lot of new growth so I'm curious if it's okay to just stay with 50% or start doing 2x? And see how much it increases my bill?

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 7.4
Gh 7
Kh 6.5
Phosphate 1.4
Nitrate 30-35

Old 01-24-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hey Rick ,
Most of the plant heads I know do 50% weekly on their EI schedule..
They don't do more they just adjust their ferts to keep the tank in line...

^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
Hey Rick ,
Most of the plant heads I know do 50% weekly on their EI schedule..
They don't do more they just adjust their ferts to keep the tank in line...
Okay thanks CB, I just am on a tight budget with my disability and I Cannot afford $500.00 every 3 months lol, maybe I could cut back on my showers lmao, Ty bud and gorgeous fish in your thread.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You seem dedicated enough that you could just 'turn down the volume' on your tank .
By reducing light,ferts ,co2 and foods you can reduce water changes IMO..
Thanks for the compliments , I am inspired by what I see others have still.
Your expense for water is like 3-4 times mine at the volume I consume ...That is a shame as clearly they are just charging you more ...You can not be going through more water then me....
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

That water bill seems very serious. Probably location and municipality differences but my bill is nowhere near (maybe I'm not changing enough...) I'm curious what is your actual usage listed on paper.

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, Rick. Maybe it's time to move to Oklahoma. I've got a house full of females who have no limits regarding water consumption, and my water bill is "much, much" lower than yours. Of course you do have to dodge a tornado every once in a while.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oklahoma does have cheap water. When we lived in south east kansas it was at least 150 a month for four of us and no aquarium.

If you have a tds meter you can use that to keep an eye on fertilizer accumulation. Adjust the amount you change based on what you see
Old 01-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

All jokeing aside, AA' s most devoted water management member, IMO is BBradbury. Might contact BB when time permits. His posts are always very informative and helpful regarding all things water.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reason the water bill is so high is because they just built a $365,000,000 dollar water plant a couple years back so we're paying for it I guess, I Also have 8 other people that live with me YIKES lol, I'm sure my tank doesn't contribute much to the water bill as estimated 100 gallons a month for the 55 and about 60 for the 30 gallon (160 gallons) , the washer, shower, dishwasher are always running it drives me insane, they actually call our water liquid gold where I live.

As to the tank, the water parameters aren't sky high alough I would like to get nitrates back down to 20-25 but I'm sure once all these plants take off that won't be hard to achieve, I have cut the ferts back to 1.5 pumps a week which helped with the brown algae (diatoms) that were starting to form on the glass, and no CB there's no way I use more water than you Holy mackerel you have alot of tanks lol.

As far as seeing a bill I will try upload one I just have to blank my name and address out first, im super leery about people knowing things like that

Regarding B I know he's always saying to change most of your water weekly but I'm not sure that's good for plants, when I looked up a post written by Tom Barr in one method they do water changes every other week some once a month, forgot what the method is called.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
Oklahoma does have cheap water. When we lived in south east kansas it was at least 150 a month for four of us and no aquarium.

If you have a tds meter you can use that to keep an eye on fertilizer accumulation. Adjust the amount you change based on what you see
I don't have a TDS Meter I was going to get one but when I asked about one on a different forum (I think, might of been this one) I was told it would be pointless for my tank, but now that I have a lot more plants I think I'm going to invest in one, can you recommend one that I don't have to constantly calibrate with the liquid?

Tags
ate, behavior, change, fish, plant, plants, water, water change, water changes

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com