Plastic models...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgc8fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just posted something to this effect on another forum... One of those things you do without thinking first... Anybody know if the plastic models are made out of is aquarium safe??? I don't see why not, but sometimes you find out otherwise.

I'm thinking about trying something I suggested to someone else who wanted a shipwreck theme... I figure that a plastic scale model would look much cooler than the fake looking shipwrecks that pet stores sell. I was thinking that you could assemble using aquarium sealant, and then kind of break it up a bit to look like a real wreck. Anyone tried this?

I also read that you could use non-toxic paints and coat it with 2-part epoxy so that it won't bleed into the tank (or get eaten by algae eaters).

Just looking for some opinions other may have on this...

Might be cool to get some old warplanes and do a Bermuda Triangle theme...

well as long as you don't use any chemicals that are unsafe for aquarium use when you assemble it it should be ok. Aquarium sealant however is messier than normal model glue.. and you also have to think about the paint you use for models as well.. which probably aren't safe for aquarium use.

I probably wouldn't mess with paint unless I absolutely needed to for detail... I've found a few that say they are aquarium safe, but even then they'd have to be coated with epoxy or algae eaters would munch it right off They seem to enjoy that gold paint that Penn Plax uses on some of it's ornaments, and I've got some Aquatic Gardens ruins that they've almost stripped to the gray plastic.

I don't think aquarium sealant would be too difficult to work with... I seem to be using a lot of clear silicone latetly (not aquarium related though) and seem to be getting pretty good with the stuff... 2 part epoxy is the other option, but I've had a lot of problems with epoxy not fully curing in the past.

I just like the idea... With scale models you get much more detail, and you usually have size choices, and can find just about any model you are looking for to match the size of the tank. Maybe even the fuselage of a big b-52 model or something like that would be cool with fish swimming around in it... Just break the wings off, cut it in half, and pop some nice holes in it. This gives me all kinds of cool decor ideas. :)

Toirtis said:
The models themselves are safe, the paint/glue/etc not so much so...prblem is that most model plastics float very well.

oh yeah i forgot about the floating :lol: youd definitely have to fill the inside with gravel or something. My husband does model cars and our roomate does model airplanes but i have to say i nevre thought of using it as fish ornaments... If i were gonna do that id go with the cheapest models as well.. some of the cars i buy for my husband to put together i wouldn't want to risk getting them messed up in the fish water.. because of all the work that goes into them and money i wouldn't want them to get messed up. But im guessing if you bought it just for the tank it could be pretty rewarding.

Back
Top Bottom