Platies and algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since upgrading my lights in prep for planting my tank I've noticed alot more spot algae (even 12 1" mystery snails aren't keeping up with it !) - its on the glass and on some of my silk plants. Its brown and wipes off the glass easily - so I'm ASSUMING its spot algae.

I've noticed the platies picking at it - they don't do a terribly good job of cleaning it off, but I was curious if they're known for this.

Yeah, platies and other livebearers eat algae. I've heard some people claim they're excellent at it and I've had other people claim they aren't. IME, they aren't.

My swords eat algae but not enough to make a dent compared to my otos. My swords do like to eat the leaves on my stem plants though. I really wish they wouldnt do that. Occasionally when the otos clear out the tank I will drop and algae wafer in there and the swordtails will pick at it.

Yup.. I wouldn't say they are good cleaners but mine really like it.. . I really have to watch that they don't finsih off the algae pellets before anyone else gets a chance at them.

Back
Top Bottom