Platies + embers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I have a 10 gallon tank, and I recently got 3 ember tetras and 2 cherry shrimp (yes, I realize they school). Today I got 3 platies. Will this work? Or should I just give away the embers? Thanks!

You should be okay , if anything happens I would take out the plates before the tetras , but I doubt anything will happen
Freshwater_King

The only things I would be concerned about are:

1) The bioload being too high, thus not leaving room for a proper school of Ember Tetras

2) The Platies hogging all the food, not letting the Ember Tetras eat.

The only things I would be concerned about are:

1) The bioload being too high, thus not leaving room for a proper school of Ember Tetras

2) The Platies hogging all the food, not letting the Ember Tetras eat.

Okay, thanks! If all goes well can I add 2-3 more tetras to complete the school, or would this overstock my tank?

Ember tetra's can easily be out competed for food by platies as already said and their bio load for 3 is high for such a small tank. I'd get at least 3 more Embers and look into rehoming the platies and replace with Endler males only. They are small and have great color and you can easily add 6 male Endlers with the Embers. If you can't get male Endlers (Pet Smart carries them here) you could do 3 brightly colored male guppes.

Back
Top Bottom