Platies with Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to get a some Platies first then add a male Betta do you think these will get on.

2x Cories
Leopard Pleco
5x Neon Tetras
2x Kuhuli Loachs
1x Zebra Danio (Finding a new home)
2x Guppies (Finding a new home and One is dying)

not sure about the neon's but When I had mine, he did fine with zebra danio's and a kuhuli.

You want to say away from other fish that are bright and pretty, like another male betta.

You may have success, but you may not. From what I have learned on here, Bettas can choose to go with the flow, or be annoying to their tankmates.

I would probably be a little worried about the Platies (I would be worried about the Danios and Guppies too, but you are moving them out of the tank, right?). I tried my Betta in my 20g community tank and it didn't work out. Part of the problem was my Red Wag Platies.

If you do decide to try it out, make sure you have a backup plan. :)

My Betta ignores the neons he shares his tank with. I've not tried him with others.

I've heard of others being lucky with platties and they have been listed as compatible but it is all down to te betta, when I picked mine I was torn between two however the other one was flaring alot whereas mine was totally chilled. I believe your here in the uk so at least you can check the temperament as our bettas are house with other fish in places like maidenhead - good luck

I live in the UK as well and im going to maidenhead aquatics to buy my Betta (Siamese Fighting Fish) so i will be having a look wheather he flares thanks for your help

I have a male beta in my tank along with platys, danish and a couple of gouramis and he doesn't bother any of them.

They have all been happy for the last 4 months

Depends on the temperament on the fish.. I had one that was kept with neons in the Lfs and he was great, he died I got a new one and he was horrid, was evil.. Try to get one that is in the same tank with the fish you like and see what he is like with them

I have always had a betta in a community tank. Only problems I have had is with fin nippers (like guppies) who eat the beta's fins.

Give it a shot, but ask the LFS if they take returns for fish that don't play well with each other.

My fighter is fine with our plattys, never been a problem, they never bother each other!

Monsweet said:
My fighter is fine with our plattys, never been a problem, they never bother each other!

We have neons too, there the same, not a problem :)

Back
Top Bottom