Platinum angelfish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bruinsbro1997 said:
I agree with Shark Bait. My angel pecks at everything that's in a bag. I've just learned to drip acclimate in a bucket simply for the reason that newcomers are always terrorized in my tank.

I need to learn how to set up a drip acclimation tube! I have no idea how they work! Haha

Nu-Nu the eel said:
No hes being attacked!!! What do i do?!!!!??

Do you have a spare tank?

Put him in any container possible-Rubbermaid container, bucket, etc-and see what happens.

Is your LFS still open? Try to see if they'll let him tank him in.

If all else fails, wait and see. Perhaps it's due to newcomer aggression. Your previous angel has just been threatened by this new arrival.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Do you have a spare tank?

Put him in any container possible-Rubbermaid container, bucket, etc-and see what happens.

Is your LFS still open? Try to see if they'll let him tank him in.

If all else fails, wait and see. Perhaps it's due to newcomer aggression. Your previous angel has just been threatened by this new arrival.

No spare tank, well not running. We do have a bucket, just put old tank water in that, and put the new or old angel in it? Lfs is open, but id lile to wait and see what we can do. I think its jist new come agression. He isnt being bitten, and his gins arent being ripped at all, just chased and nipped. Id like to see if we can get them to settle this

Sharkbait54 said:
IMO they are testing eachother out. If you want give it a day if you prefer not to just take him out :(

Id lile to wait and see. Dot think i want him to get hurt or anything, haha this is killing me seeing the aggression. I just think we have a 50/50 chance of this working, right? I just dont want to wake up to a dead angel..

Please don't take this the wrong way, because it is only meant as constructive criticism... but if you had waited more than 2 hours between the idea and the purchase, you probably would have gotten some differing viewpoints as to whether you should add an angelfish to a tank with an existing angelfish plus a lot going on otherwise. I personally would call your tank pretty well stocked, and would not have advised adding a single angelfish of unknown gender to a tank where there was an established angelfish of unknown gender.

Since you already have the fish, there are a couple of things I would suggest. First, if you haven't already, rearrange your plants and decor. This may help with your established angel being territorial. If not, monitor and watch for damage. If it really looks like your established angel is beating up on the new one, I would recommend removing the new angel and putting it into another tank or container until you are able to find a new home for it. Even a Rubbermaid container will work, it doesn't have to be an aquarium.

*edit* there is no way to predict or quantify your chances of success with angelfish aggression. Every fish is different.

Ya we know we should probably wait at least a day or 2 before taking action or doing something about the fish. I know it was unpredictable, but this was a risk and we will see how it turns out. We alredy know what we would do with the fish if it is being sevearly bullied. Also i do not believe our tank is overstocked. I think at most it is fully stocked right now

If you consider the adult size of your fish, I'd say the tank is pretty well stocked. Just curious if you have ever seen an actual adult angel? A lot of hobbyists haven't, because they're a rare find at the LFS... but we have seen and owned some pretty massive ones. We had a male once that made a 75 look kind of small. Just sayin.

I have seen a large angel at the lfs before but i dont think e was fullgrown. And besides, i will have to give away everything in 2 years so i dont think the angel can become full grown in that time. Will it? The angel has stopped chasing the new one and i gave him a wafer to try and keep him occupied and its totally working! Haha

severum mama said:
Please don't take this the wrong way, because it is only meant as constructive criticism... but if you had waited more than 2 hours between the idea and the purchase, you probably would have gotten some differing viewpoints as to whether you should add an angelfish to a tank with an existing angelfish plus a lot going on otherwise. I personally would call your tank pretty well stocked, and would not have advised adding a single angelfish of unknown gender to a tank where there was an established angelfish of unknown gender.

Since you already have the fish, there are a couple of things I would suggest. First, if you haven't already, rearrange your plants and decor. This may help with your established angel being territorial. If not, monitor and watch for damage. If it really looks like your established angel is beating up on the new one, I would recommend removing the new angel and putting it into another tank or container until you are able to find a new home for it. Even a Rubbermaid container will work, it doesn't have to be an aquarium.

*edit* there is no way to predict or quantify your chances of success with angelfish aggression. Every fish is different.

Just some questions, i thought it was har to determine the gender of young angels? Did we get bad advice that we could add him? I didnt think we were overstocked...

I think you guys did the right thing you got what you wanted. Now about having them fight the is absolutely no way to know if you can add another angel unless you try it. And you can't tell gender when they are so small.

I think there is a very good chance they could get along I added an angel I my tank , the established angel pecked at the other for 2 days! Now they are a breeding pair.

So in my opinion wait it out.

Sharkbait54 said:
I think you guys did the right thing you got what you wanted. Now about having them fight the is absolutely no way to know if you can add another angel unless you try it. And you can't tell gender when they are so small.

I think there is a very good chance they could get along I added an angel I my tank , the established angel pecked at the other for 2 days! Now they are a breeding pair.

So in my opinion wait it out.

Really? Did it kind of peck its fins and body, but never hurt it? Mine is doinf that. Also, the new angel kin do just takes the abuse, is that normal? Cool to know yours worked out, i have high hopes!!!

Gboy66 said:
Really? Did it kind of peck its fins and body, but never hurt it? Mine is doinf that. Also, the new angel kin do just takes the abuse, is that normal? Cool to know yours worked out, i have high hopes!!!

That's exactly what mine did the new one kinda acted submissive and took the beating! The established really went all out on him but did no damage.

Sharkbait54 said:
That's exactly what mine did the new one kinda acted submissive and took the beating! The established really went all out on him but did no damage.

Whew ok hopefully this works...and if not :'( ill have to give him to my lfs in 2 days or so

I know it's pretty brutal the thing was I had no other tank at the time that was the only reason I left him in there... Now I can't stop them from breeding.

Sharkbait54 said:
I know it's pretty brutal the thing was I had no other tank at the time that was the only reason I left him in there... Now I can't stop them from breeding.

Lol, so you would remove them if you could? Then wouldnt he never get used to the new guy?

Back
Top Bottom