Platy acting weird!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 3 platys in my 10 gallon with a few other fish (I'm upgrading to a 40 in December) and all my fish are active and constantly moving but since I came home one of my females have been hovering around the bottom and not moving locations. She looks a bit squared off but doesn't look pregnant. I do a 40-50% weekly water change with my siphon, so there's nothing wrong with the water. I've had all these fish for nearly 6 months, no deaths. I'd really hate to see her go before I get the 40 gallon! She is not sitting on the bottom luckily. She is hovering over the gravel but stays in one place

Actually I looked up a pregnant platy diagram online and it almost completely matches this platy. If anything, she's probably giving birth tonight. Since I don't have a breeder box, I guess I'll just stay up and patrol the tank until she gives birth

Bobjoefredsky said:
Actually I looked up a pregnant platy diagram online and it almost completely matches this platy. If anything, she's probably giving birth tonight. Since I don't have a breeder box, I guess I'll just stay up and patrol the tank until she gives birth

Good luck...exciting. What kind of platies are they?

Bobjoefredsky said:

Are you sure she is pregnant and not bloated? What are your water parameters?

maxwellag said:
Are you sure she is pregnant and not bloated? What are your water parameters?

She is definitely not bloated. I haven't checked my parameters but I'm going to do another 50% wc today

image-310185698.jpg

Her belly looks a bit like this \__/ but she must not have a lot of babies in her because her belly isn't really bulging out

She's still very inactive, so it's safe to assume she didn't give birth yet. And she is a red platy :]

She looks even more pregnant now. I'm gonna go buy a platy breeder case

Actually she's more active now so maybe she was just depressed or something

Back
Top Bottom