Platy Agression Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurpleSmurf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I picked up two red platies (both female) to fill up my 10 gal #2, round out my platy group, and take some agression off and hopefully embolden my gold crescent female (she's been hiding almost constantly for the last day or two). The new pair acclimated well. While in the bag they were ignored for the most part so I figured everything was okay. After releasing them the male began to harass, chase, and nip at the two new arrivals.

I currently have the male seperated in my 10 gal #2 and the females are all getting along well. I want to have all four together... but I'm not sure if it'll work. As for why the male would be doing this I can't imagine. Bullying another male I could understand... but not with two new females. It shouldn't be a territory issue since I just added a rock shelf to the tank last night and switched out the bettas inhabiting the tank..

Any ideas on how I could get my group to play nicely together? If I just give them time will they eventually sort things out themselves?

actually as with my experience with platies is the male chases the females around because he constantly wants to mate with them, a good ration of females to males is 4 to 1 which will give each female time to relax while the male chases the other females, this goes on as long as the fish are in the tank and nothing we can really do about it, and what seems to happen often is one of the female platies will turn out pregnant and have baby fish, but dont worry purplesmurf.....this is common and nothing we could do about it....good luck!!

Hmm. I know that every once in a while you get a fish like this, and the only solution might be in getting yet another female, so his aggression is diluted among them, the hope being that he gets into spawning mode and he loses his aggression. It also might be that he will never be able to play nice, as I have certainly heard about this happening from time to time.

If you want to breed them, then you can consider trading him in for a different male, and if you are not interested in breeding them trade him in for another female.

Good luck!

I also think that new fish get quite a bit of attention for a few days, then it tends to even out. Would another male tend to even things out a bit too? then the male would spend part of his time on the females, and part of his time asserting himself over the other male. I have had platy on several occasions, and currently have a dozen in my tank, and never saw the behavior get to the point that any fish were in danger. Perhaps the female that is hiding out is getting near a fry drop and it is not harrasment at all?

Back
Top Bottom