Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Unhappy Platy being agressive?

I have one male and two female platies, no other fish in the tank. They have been in the tank for almost two weeks. Up until now, the three have gotten along quite well. They swam together and foraged without any aggression at all. Now for the past two days, the male keeps charging suddenly at one female. I can't tell if he is trying to nip her, but it looks like it. He seems to do this every few seconds whenever she is near him. She just clamps her tail up and darts away, and he stops chasing her when she gets behind something or more than a few inches away from him. She seems frightened of him. The other female platy doesn't get chased at all. Why is there a change in behavior suddenly? Is this just breeding behavior? I don't like it. I'm starting to want to just take him back to the store. Should I swap him for a third female? I just want my fish to not attack each other and swim around happily.

Are there other fish I could get for this ten gallon that would not attack each other at all? I decided on platies because I wanted an active fish with no aggression, but I don't like where this is going...
Water is about 7.8 PH and moderately hard. Temperature is at 80 degrees(no heater, that's the weather heating the tank. I have no AC to cool it.) and heavily planted with java fern, anubias, anacharis, hornwort, and maybe soon some java moss, and driftwood.

And I was planning to get some cherry shrimp tomorrow if they are available at the local store.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

do you want fry? its definitely what happens when they're breeding, the males will harass the females. if you don't want to get overrun with fry, i would swap him out for a female

Old 08-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I really want to get rid of this fish.
I lost the receipt, so I don't know if I can return him. Worst case scenario, maybe I can feed him to my nephew's turtle. It gets fed guppies and red minnows, so maybe a platy as a special fat-fish treat? I don't want to do that, though.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also, one of the females gave birth to a few small fry already. I thought they would be eaten by the adults by now. What to do with those...
Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd switch the females for all males if u don't want babies
Old 08-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was expecting the parents to eat them, but the two little ones seem to be surviving. I think I will swap the male for a female and any fry that come in the next few months can be betta food, or turtle food if they get too big. There are some very nice blue hi-fin mickey mouse platy at the local shop. I want one of those.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you don't want to see constant nipping, switch out the male for female. you will probably have a few batches of fry from the females for a few months, but you can use them as feeders like you said. all male tanks of platies or mollies, are filled with constant nipping IME
Old 08-30-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquandrew View Post
if you don't want to see constant nipping, switch out the male for female. you will probably have a few batches of fry from the females for a few months, but you can use them as feeders like you said. all male tanks of platies or mollies, are filled with constant nipping IME
I was planning an all-male tank because I heard there wouldn't be any aggression without females, but they constantly chased each other, so I tried the 1:2 male female ratio, but yeah... Today I just bought a blue mickey mouse female and removed the male to my five gallon with the endlers for now. I'll be taking him back to the store I bought him from soon. Man, it was hard netting him! That is the downside to having a densely planted tank.
I hate to see him go. He's a really pretty little sunburst wag. But the blue girl is just as pretty.

Tags
agressive, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com