Platy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mosdurf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my red wag platies was pregnant about a month ago and then one day, she wasn't. I didn't see any fry and didn't want to worry about extra fish - so I thought it would just be a feast for everyone in the tank.

A week ago, I was doing a thorough gravel vac (removing decorations) and when I pulled up one of them, I saw two fry. Not super tiny, but not big either. About the size of a babies pinky toe.

They're still in the tank and they come out when I feed and gobble up the flakes that I've crushed up very finely.

I don't want to have to do a fry tank and they seem to have gotten on fine without it.

Does anyone have experience with a natural, in-tank birth where they didn't move the fry? Am I likely to have them grow into adults since they've survived this long?

Mine do just fine, (I once had a guppy and a platy give birth at the same time and I think I had 20 survive) but I don't have any aggressive fish, and my biggest one is a dwarf gourami. The only reason I have a breeder tank is to do a selection of my guppy fry! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom