Platy fry bent tail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok I was wondering if this is normal when he's not swimming around and kind of hovers, he looks like this

image-3279392531.jpg

It may be because I found him swimming around free in the community tank so I saved him from his hungry parents but I remember I did have quite an issue with scooping him up in the net and he did get bumped a little

I just hope he grows out of this or is he gonna be like this for the rest of his life?

Btw he is in the bowl because I was upgrading his tank to a 2.5

image-2911125308.jpg

Other time he look rather straight like this, but you can still see a tiny joint

I just noticed that he bends his tail like this when he isn't fighting the current. I put him in his new filtered 2.5 and he's swimming perfectly normal. Must just be a minor birth defect or something

My guppies and platys bend their tail like that to balance themselves in the current alot, if they have a Ben spine then you have to keep an eye on them. My guppy has a bent spine and I'm hoping she keeps healthy, because of it starts causing her pain then I have to cull her :(

alia258 said:
My guppies and platys bend their tail like that to balance themselves in the current alot, if they have a Ben spine then you have to keep an eye on them. My guppy has a bent spine and I'm hoping she keeps healthy, because of it starts causing her pain then I have to cull her :(

Best of luck

:(

I think she'll be okay, for now she's healthy as any other guppy :)

We had some with bent tails and some that had bent spines (think hunchback). It was a vitamin deficiency that caused it with the fry. We had too many fry and they weren't getting enough vitamins (C I think it was).

Tommyboy13 said:
We had some with bent tails and some that had bent spines (think hunchback). It was a vitamin deficiency that caused it with the fry. We had too many fry and they weren't getting enough vitamins (C I think it was).

Shoot! Well it's good to know for the future. This little guy is a lucky one though. He is out of it now

Wow I never heard of the vitamin deficiency one, the bent spine thing mine has makes it's spine shaped like a sideways turned "S" and it gets more severe as it gets older but shouldn't cause pain or health problems although it'll be more sensitive to bad water.

Back
Top Bottom