Platy fry with adults

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lalalameg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have three adult platys (2 females, 1 male) in a 20g aquarium. I managed to save two of the fry from some other platys I had bought a few months ago (I've lost track of how old they actually are), and right now they're probably about 1 cm long. What I'm wondering is if they would be ok to go into the 20g, or would the bigger fish pick on them, prevent them from eating, etc? I heard that they grow faster in a larger aquarium and right now they're only in a 2.5g!
Thanks!!

If they're small enough to be eaten, they will be. If not, they may be bullied. You can always try, but I wouldn't suggest it.

I'm not sure if they're small if enough to be eaten, I think the adults would need fairly large mouths but who knows!

I wouldn't do it just yet. Wait untill you are 100% sure they can't be eaten.

I've never had any problems with the bigger platies bullying the fry once they're big enough not to be eaten. Just make sure they have somewhere they can escape/hide if they need to. I had a decent pile of glass rocks the fry could swim into and under that the larger ones couldn't. Plus it was pretty lol.

Good luck with the fry :)

Back
Top Bottom