platy id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw some fish in a lfs today that were labled as some kind of platy but I don't remember what. They were all white with a bright pink splotch on top. And ideas? They were gorgeous.

This particular lfs isn't terribly good about labeling their tanks however. For example, there was a tank of gold sailfin mollies labeled as some kind of pirana for $130 each

I don't think they would label mollies as piranhas; I'm sure it was just a sort of, moving-from-tank-to-tank scenario

jbarr said:
I don't think they would label mollies as piranhas; I'm sure it was just a sort of, moving-from-tank-to-tank scenario
Yeah, I know. Just saying that the labels are always wrong in general.

I thought the pink seemed pretty unnatural. Maybe they were dyed... I'm going to ask someone next time I'm back.

Hmm...I've seen blue platies crossed with red wagtails before and they come out white with red splotches on top, but I've never heard of pink before...
You do get some weird and wonderful colours in livebearers nowadays through inter/cross breeding among the various types (e.g. tuxedos with wagtails, colour intermixing and so on). It's possible it's from that...but I'm also suspicous as depotfish is.

I believe he might be refering to a pineapple swordtail maybe? They are more red than pink though... see my avatar.

Back
Top Bottom