platy/molly crossbreeds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulaeverett83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new to the site so I apologise if this is posted on the wrong place or a repeated question

I have a female silver Molly, 2 female platys and a male platy. My silver Molly had fry but the pet shop owner told me its not unusual for a fish to be pregnant when you buy them. She's now about to have her 4th lot of fry. Both female platys have had several lots as well but I Googled cross breeding between Molly and platy and a majority of the things I've read say it's not possible and if they do the fry wont survive. Confusing considering I put her in a breeding net so I know she is the mother and some of the fry are looking a lot more like the black platy then the silver Molly.

Anyway, my questions are is it possible to crossbred? These babies are obviously coming from her and must have a "father"
Is it possible she is making herself pregnant from mating with another Molly before I got her (pet shop owner said they can save what they need for up to 6 months and impregnate themselves)
Is it possible pet shop owner is wrong and she's not a silver Molly at all just a large white/silver colored platy?

do you have pictures of the fish to be sure of the species? mollies and platies can NOT crossbreed. mollies can crossbreed with guppies, and platies can crossbreed with swordtails

I never realised how hard it is to take pics of fish before. The one of my black male I had to zoom right in so he looks fairly large but you can see in the other he's actually smaller them my female

ForumRunner_20130929_111256.jpg

ForumRunner_20130929_111309.jpg

I am sure someone else will answer or correct me if I am wrong but to me the black one looks like a molly not a platy? So that is probably where your babies are coming from.

Oh ok. Ill have to post pictures of my other 2 fish then because I thought they were platies and they've also had fry so I'm a little confused. I'm a total newbie when it comes to fish.

Could you please check out these 2 fish and let me know what they are. I appreciate all the help. I thought the were both female as they both go from normal to extremely fat then back to normal repeatedly. I currently have a few fry the darker colour but that doesn't really tell who which is the patent, only that one of them is. My fish seem to stress in the breeding net so I tend to let them have babies in the community tank then scoop up any I happen to see to separate them from the adults

ForumRunner_20130929_121957.jpg

ForumRunner_20130929_122054.jpg

Back
Top Bottom