Platy Owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But i read if you have a lot of plants and floating plants it gives the fry a chance to hide! Not all will make it but if your looking for just a few so long as there are a lot of hiding spaces some will make it!

Oh she will eat them! So will all tankmates! I only have 3 fry from my platys first batch. She started popping them out in the middle of the day and my son was horrified because the got gobbled up as quickly as they were falling out! I managed to net her out and she had a few more.

wow...oh no....creepers....ok so I should have my 5g tank empty before I think she will drop?...I currently have 2 guppies, 1 ghost shrimp, and a tiny baby snail in their just to cycle it then they all will be moving in the 20H with the platy's....(don't know what to do to keep it cycled afterwards)
So what plan of action you have? I need the ideas

If you want to save the fry I would move her to the five gallon (if its cycled by then) when she looks ready to pop and have some hiding places in there for the fry. She looks to have at least a week left prolly 2 before she is ready (only from my experience) so you have time to figure it out;)

Oh to keep it cycled afterwards I would just feed it fish food. Fry won't have that much of a bio load;)

And also if you miss this batch do not worry she is guaranteed to have another ;)

And also if you miss this batch do not worry she is guaranteed to have another ;)

heheeh okay..great idea on the fish food(y)...also do the females not need a male once they have been fertilized once ?...I heard mollies hold sperm...do platy's? I may need to look into a 5g tank divider or maybe a diy divider with plastic craft screen type thingy...lol i don't remember the name of it but it has a bunch of squares small enough for the fry and too small for mommy...i have to think of something...

Yes platy hold sperm too;) that is why I say don't fret if you miss this one;) and if you have a male she will surely have a life time supply :O.

Yes platy hold sperm too;) that is why I say don't fret if you miss this one;) and if you have a male she will surely have a life time supply :O.

hahhahahha...yeap she has a bf...I guess she is supplied for her lifetime..:lol:lol...wow...I learn something new everyday about fish and their capabilities/characters....

Back
Top Bottom