Platy Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coralocean

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed this morning that one of my female platy has a white underside. I have 4 females and 1 male. She is the only one displaying the white color. I have removed her and found it impossible to get a still photo so I took a little video. https://youtu.be/bxmJHaJCNbw The very end of the video gives a good view. I apologize for the bad filming in advance.
The white area does not appear like a wool type fungus, just white. I appreciate any insight you all might have. I found nothing online that fits this.
Thank you.

Hello Cor...

I keep Red Wag Platys, like the one you have in the video and Sunset Platys. As the females grow, their undersides can become a much lighter color. The older females in the tank have very light bellies, especially those that tend to over eat. I have a lot of fry in the tank, so I feed a bit more and an aggressive adult female tends to eat a lot if she's carrying fry. As long as you're taking very good care of the tank water, by removing and replacing most of it weekly, you'll have no problems with infections or parasites. The fish may just be a little overweight or getting close to being an adult.

B

She looks fat and sassy to me. Actively looking for food, and swimming in a normal manner. The white belly doesn't look like a disease symptom such as Columnaris. Likely you just got an unusual colored platy.

Back
Top Bottom