Platy spitting food out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anne_fong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my platies is eating fine but the other finds the food then spits it back out. :( when I put the food into the tank they both chase the food but only one really eats. (from what I can see) Is this bad? They are normal tropical fish flakes that I am feeding them.

Eventually he will get hungry enough and he will eat the food. If the fish is new then there's no worries, new fish often spit out food as they adjust to the new tank.

Mine do that too. It's like they chew it up and spit it out. maybe making smaller, easier to eat pieces?

Pckerfreak44 said:
Eventually he will get hungry enough and he will eat the food. If the fish is new then there's no worries, new fish often spit out food as they adjust to the new tank.

Thanks :) they are new fish and a new tank. How long before it properly eats the food?

anne_fong said:
Thanks :) they are new fish and a new tank. How long before it properly eats the food?

Could be today, could be a week from now. I suggest a variety of food, maybe he/she does not like flakes, try some small pellets. Blood worms usually always help get an appetite back. Garlic can help entice an appetite also. Keeping the lights low will help the fish feel more comfortable in new surroundings.

blert said:
Could be today, could be a week from now. I suggest a variety of food, maybe he/she does not like flakes, try some small pellets. Blood worms usually always help get an appetite back. Garlic can help entice an appetite also. Keeping the lights low will help the fish feel more comfortable in new surroundings.

I've also heard cucumber or zucchini is good...And how should I prepare the garlic? Do I need to do anything to it?

It is normal in a new tank, with new food. But if it continues, it could be due to internal parasites. If it persists and your fish becomes emaciated, look into treatment for worms/parasites.

But it's likely just adjusting to the new conditions.

Bbarb27 said:
It is normal in a new tank, with new food. But if it continues, it could be due to internal parasites. If it persists and your fish becomes emaciated, look into treatment for worms/parasites.

But it's likely just adjusting to the new conditions.

Back
Top Bottom